Babble - A Chat Plugin [ARCHIVE]

After adding - git clone https://github.com/gdpelican/babble.git to my app.yml, and rebuilding docker image, I’ve got blank page when trying access my forum. Removing plugin solved the problem. I’m on 1.9.0.beta8

(Angus McLeod) #676

The pr isn’t merged into master. Please follow the linked instructions.

(Panteen Pro-V) #677

Would you please provide the syntax to use your PR? I’m pretty new however I am keen to test it out. just that I need soneone to walk me by the hand and tell me what should I put into app.yml

(cpradio) #678

it would be:

git clone --branch emoji-selector-fix-master https://github.com/gdpelican/babble.git

(Vincent) #679

I just made up my mind and went forward installing the plugin (thanks @angus). It seems to work quite well, but I encounter an unpleasant bug.

When I click the Babble button, all the page’s content moves a few pixels to the right. Actually, clicking the Babble button makes my browser’s scrollbar (Firefox 55.0.3) disappear, however long the page may be.

Someone pointed out it made the footer disappear when he clicked Babble’s button – I can confirm this happens on my forum too.

I’m using a slightly modified default theme.

Anyone had this fixed?

edit OK, I found it in babble-shoutbox-init.js.es6, line 43:

page.css('overflow', 'hidden')

do you think the original developer has abandoned this project?

(Stephen Chung) #681

Hate to be the one that breaks the nice 666 posts…

:smiling_imp:

However, I can confirm that this branch works:

git clone --branch emoji-selector-fix-master https://github.com/gdpelican/babble.git

except for the problem idenfieid by @Vincent.

FEATURE REQUEST - Is it possible to put a special class on chats made by the current user? For example, a self class put on all own posts, so that I can style them differently from the chat posts of all other people. Right now, chat posts have classes made up of user-id’s which is difficult to just pick up the current user.

(James Kiesel) #682

I’ll merge this into the master branch now, thanks heaps @angus.

I’m going to take a good hard look at Babble over the next wee while to see how we can simplify it so that it doesn’t break so often. I’m going to mark the current version as a ‘legacy’ branch, and likely make some changes to the frontend interface here so that it’s less likely to sit around broken for so long again.

Appreciate all the hard work! I haven’t quite implemented it yet mostly because it didn’t feel stable quite yet… looking forward to the results!

(George Morris) #684

Yup. Worked for a bit but on the last rebuild it failed. :frowning:

Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse/plugins && git clone --branch emoji-selector-fix-master GitHub - gdpelican/babble: Discourse Shoutbox plugin failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 323 exit 128>

(James Kiesel) #685

Please use the master branch of the plugin now, as the fix has been merged in there.

(Tomek) #686

BTW how can I enter the full screen view of this chat?

/c/chat does not work

• enable this option in settings
  • create a channel associated with category
    Then you can enter this chat from Category page

(Tobias) #688

It sounds fantastic :slight_smile: If you have the time, it could be very cool to see sort-of a integration with Discord - if you have any idea how it should work together.

At my site we have a official Discord-chat, but it could be very cool to see a solution where Babble could handle this kind of “middle-way” solution.

But anyways, it’s not a small change - and maybe it’s also more likely to be find in another plugin?

(James Kiesel) #689

The best guess I can make right now is that there will be a single chat on the page, which can expand and change channels. We got into way too much trouble trying to implement different views and supporting multiple chats on the page at the same time, and the feedback thus far has been basically ‘We’re not so interested in that anyway’.

My thoughts at the moment are that the next burst of work here wants to be to take out the two chat ‘modes’, and add a chat pane (probably in a sidebar), which supports multiple channels. This might be similar in UX to the composer, where you can navigate around the app while keeping the chat open.

But I’m still open to feedback, and I still have way too much on at the moment to make promises about when this will could occur.

(George Morris) #690

Thank you @gdpelican

(Stephen Chung) #691

@gdpelican The emoji-picker code is seriously broken due to the nature of the EmojiPicker class in Discourse (which uses module-global variables to store instance-local state for some reason).

Emoticon button not working anymore (because of babble plugin)

Is there a way to render shoutbox in existing plugin outlet?

(Stephen Chung) #693

Since I’ve got some time over the weekend, I just spent hours and hours rebuilding Discourse multiple times and finally got a working fix of Babble.

Those who want to try it can point to https://github.com/schungx/babble.git instead. Please let me know if there are any problems. If not, I’ll make a PR for @gdpelican.

My fix should make it work with retort and AFAIK anything else. The emoji-picker now works fine.

Discourse core chat function
(Vincent) #694

Thanks, I’ll rebuild using your fork tonight.

Edit: Safari behaves strangely since rebuild. The search button appears black instead of white, until cllicked (then it changes to its normal color).

By the way, did you take a look at the mobile behaviour? There is no problem when reading messages, but as soon as I tap “Write here” the chatbox disappears and I can’t see what I’m typing.