Babble - A Chat Plugin [ARCHIVE]

(Marcin) #796

Oh, I can tell you what’s wrong, I have made a pull request that has fixed it for me (not merged yet by maintaners of Babble and of course I can’t promise that fixes all issues but it works for my users, no more freezing):

(James Kiesel) #797

Looks perfect to me, thanks @ziptofaf. Would you mind submitting a PR to the main repo so I can merge it?

(Marcin) #798

Oh, I actually thought I did. Here, just submitted one :stuck_out_tongue:

(James Kiesel) #799

This is now merged. Thanks for picking this up. :slight_smile:

@ziptofaf @gdpelican thanks guys!

(Joel Zaslofsky) #801

We just started using Babble in our community today and the simplicity is a hit compared to our previous rocket.chat integration (a light weight Slack clone). Thanks for developing and maintaining such a great plugin for so long, James!

Now that I have some feedback from our users and some real-world personal experience with Babble, I have some suggestions, questions, or comments. I’m making them here because I’m not on GitHub.

1. Are you considering integrating notification sounds in the plugin road map? It doesn’t seem like Discourse as a whole has notification sounds after doing a meta forum search and I’m only turning up two dead end threads on notification sounds (here and here).
  2. Where can I change the tooltip hover over text for the expand/contract chat window width toggle? We’re running Babble 3.1.7 with Discourse 2.0.0.beta1 and it currently says “[en.babble.expand_chat]” or “[en.babble.compress_chat]” depending on it’s state docked to the right or full width.
  3. It’s not a big thing, but I’m curious about an update on the invalid date bug (see below)

(James Kiesel) #802

Thanks for the kind words.

• I’m open to a PR for sound notifications, but want to be sure it’s configurable and default off. I personally am of the ‘don’t make noises unless Cthulu is about to burst from that tab’ persuasion.
  • I can grab the untranslated hover strings next week once I’m back in work mode, unless someone wants to PR a translation into config/locales/client.en.yml before then.
  • I haven’t fixed the Invalid Date bug yet. I had a mildly flakey repro at one point while running VRs in different time zones (I’m in New Zealand, waaay in front of everyone else in the world time zone wise, which is probably why I didn’t notice it while developing), but wasn’t able to pin it down. It’s still on my list, and I’m very open to a PR.

It seems I can’t attach files or use emojis. After selecting a file to attach, or an emoji to use, my mouse cursor changes to the :no_entry_sign: symbol when inside the chat input box.

(Joel Zaslofsky) #804

I agree. Although sound notifications would have to be easily turned on or off at the user level for me to use it in our community. I’d rather focus on other improvements to Babble before I encouraged this to get developed.

I have the same issue with attaching files, but using emojis works on our Discourse install.

(Joel Zaslofsky) #805

As I use Babble more and more – and still maintain a super amount of gratitude for it – I’m noticing some minor, but confusing things.

Here’s another example:

1. As a user with admin privileges, pick an existing chat message and select the Delete option from the drop-down list to the right of it.

Delete

1. Click the Delete button. A spinning wheel where the drop-down pops up and continues to spin indefinitely – creating the impression that Babble is still processing the deletion.

Deleting%20a%20Chat%20Message%20in%20Babble%20Appears%20to%20Hang

1. If you look at the deleted message in real-time as a non-admin user, you’ll instantly see that the message was deleted and the username of the admin who deleted it.

Note: Super small thing, but it would be great to have the word “Post” changed to “Message”.

Deleted%20Chat%20Message%20in%20Babble%20in%20Real-Time%20from%20a%20Non-Admin%20User's%20Perspective

1. Refreshing the page confirms what we already know – the message was deleted (because we can’t see it anymore as an admin or non-admin).

Page%20Refresh

James, I’m happy to report these minor items in a PM or somewhere other than GitHub (since I’m not on it). I don’t want to clutter up this already massive thread with small bugs if you’d rather have them somewhere else.

(Adrianbblk) #806

I requested the Romanian language on Transifex, could you please approve it ?
Thanks.

(Ryan Evans) #807

I’d love to read more detail from you on how the two compare. Thank you in advance!

(Andrew Small) #808

Is there a way to get the shoutbox to be opened on default? Without having to click the bullhorn? I’m afraid people wont see it otherwise. @gdpelican

(Daniel Lopes) #810

Hi there,

I’m getting the same error. Could you share which plugin was clashing with Babble?

Mine is easily reproduceable by signing in with a Google account via OAuth

Thank you!

(Daniel Lopes) #811

@gdpelican I think there’s a bug with Beta2 and Google Authentication. I’m still trying to figure out if I’m going to be able to send a PR. I’m able to reproduce it easily locally (with NGrok) and in production. The steps are:

1. Enable OAuth with Google
  2. Clear the cache and make sure there’s only Babble installed and no other plugins
  3. Start the Rails app
  4. Open the browser in incognito window
  5. Try to login with Google (the first time it’s gonna work fine if I replace localhost from the redirect link to the ngrok url or include the port 3000)
  6. Now I log out and try to log back in and I get redirected to topics.json

Here’s a GIF showing all the steps (you can see the destination_url pointing to topics.json at the end):

My hunch is that Babble is trying to start the polling when the user is logged out and that causes an access denied or 404 and then Discourse stores that in the destination_url cookie to redirect the user back to it after login in.

(Daniel Lopes) #812

@gdpelican my assumption was right. The sidebar component doesn’t check if the current user is logged in so it tries to fetch topics.json and the Rails controller sets the destination_url in the cookie via AJAX, breaking the OAuth flow. Here’s my solution: Avoiding initialize the sidebar when user is logged out by danielvlopes · Pull Request #249 · gdpelican/babble · GitHub

I’m not that familiar with your code so I don’t know if that’s the best approach but I’m happy to change if you direct me.

Thank you so much for the amazing work with this plugin :bowing_man:

(James Kiesel) #813

Thanks for this! I’ll have a peek earlier today, but looks good at an initial glance.

Hi! After last update there’s a problem on mobile
It doesn’t fit in one row anymore…

(Blu McCormick) #815

G’day,

Does anyone have a forum with Babble - A Chat Plugin running that they’d be ok with me checking out?

Thanks in advance.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #816

You can use the sandbox: http://discourse-babble.com/