Babble - A Chat Plugin

(Angus McLeod) #451

Do you see the chat nav item in the chat category?

(Алексей Копаев) #452

users with rights “trust_level_0, trust_level_1, trust_level_2” appears so.

(Lee_Ars) #453

Negative, I don’t see that showing up. I’ve verified my “top menu” setting is at default, but toggling full page chat on and off doesn’t appear to add anything to it.

(James Kiesel) #454

You’ll need to create a channel per the instructions in the README to get the chat route to show up.

Hi guys and girls,
I looking for a quick fix to hide the babble_icon from all users who aren’t part of any shoutbox.
Right now, does users can basicly only click on the icon but nothing is happening afterward.
Anyone here who has done that already or who is interested in a pull request regarding this issue?

(James Kiesel) #456

That’s behaviour I haven’t seen before, and can’t reproduce. Are you on the master branch of Babble? Any other circumstances related to this bug?

@gdpelican Yep I was on beta and now switched to master.
Here is a recording of the scenario …

(James Kiesel) #458

Hm, the switch back to master from beta may be causing this; there is a migration in there which moves all the topics from the ‘chat’ archetype, getting rid of the original category.

I can fix, but may need access to your instance to do so. Can you tell me whether a ‘chat’ category exists, and which category your existing chat topics are now a part of?

(Lee_Ars) #459

Thanks, @gdpelican—that makes the route visible when the category associated with the chat is selected. Apologies for not following instructions :slight_smile:

But with the vast majority of users browsing in the default “all categories” view, there’s zero discoverability for full-page chat—toggling “full page chat” on removes the bullhorn icon and hides and indication that there’s any kind of chat feature. This might be worth addressing. An option might be a custom route on the navbar ("“Chats” or “All chats” or something) that leads to a landing page showing all available chats for the user’s security level and group membership. Or maybe retask the bullhorn icon in full-page chat mode to point there. At least that way, a logged-in user in default view has some indication that chats are available.

Additionally, there doesn’t appear to be a way to use full-page chat with group-based permissions—unless the full-page chat is associated with a category with permissions. At least, that’s what it looks like—would expect the plug-in to respect discourse’s security model or there’ll be mass hysteria, dogs and cats living together, etc.

Ever since the latest update, every time I open chat it opens at around 15 minutes old. Also, it does not display when a user is typing anymore. Not sure if that was done purposely, though.

Everything else is great!

The bug already existed while using the beta version.
The user I’m testing this with isn’t assigned to any chat category (on purpose). So that’s why I want the Babble chat icon to be hidden. Only if a user is assigned to a chat category it should be visible.
I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear in my initial post.

(Panteen Pro-V) #462

Latest Beta Babble + latest Discourse beta = when click on Chat icon, the Avatar got duplicated. So one avatar turn into two, and then three and so on. Nothing appears as well when I click on Chat icon

Any ideas on that @gdpelican?

(James Kiesel) #464

Ya, discoverability is on the radar, but comes after making the chat actually work. :wink:

I think, and someone can correct me if I’m off base with this, that we’re in the midst of a migration to a category-based model of chat. So group permissions are ‘legacy’, and will remain supported probably in a separate branch.

We respect permissions across the board; if you’re not able to see a category or group, you won’t be able to access the chat (and if someone can demonstrate otherwise, plz let me know about it.)

I haven’t been able to repro either of the issues described by @Huey_Le or @LuckyLuke; can you provide me links to where it’s happening or repro steps?

(James Kiesel) #465

We’ve opened up beta testing for the full page chat variant! Check out here for details.

(Anton) #466

I still don’t get any green circle notifications when new PM is sent to me… :frowning:

(James Kiesel) #467

Sorry, I don’t follow; Babble doesn’t support PMs yet. Are you having trouble with mentioning?

@gdpelican I sent you the login credentials to my sandbox within a private message. Thank’s for looking into this.

(Anton) #469

Sorry posted in wrong thread.

(James Higginson) #470

@gdpelican looks great, when can I get it?!