Babble - A Chat Plugin

I installed Babble on a test forum.
Some users (including me) report having problems with scrolling and typing. I don’t know (yet) what device they used. If you need that information, I’ll ask them.
When using chrome on Android 6 with a 960 x 540 size screen, I have trouble finding the text field. The messages have their own scroll area and when I drag there I obviously can’t reach the text field. I need some more tapping here and there to reach it.
Next, when I want to type my message, the keyboard (using Fleksy) covers the text field, so I can’t see what I type.

Other than that everyone loves it so far, expecially that it is accessible everywhere from the header.

(Miguel) #654

I have the same problem.

When I want to type message, the keyboad covers the text field. I’m using Galaxy S7 and iPhone 7 Plus, the same thing happens.

Everything else works perfectly.

Any solution?

Thanks!

(James Kiesel) #655

Hi, yep, I’m aware of these bugs and will fix them as I have time. Thanks for the report!

(Hosein Naseri) #656

I still see the invalid date bug in my discourse. I’m using Persian translation. maybe that is related.

(Steven-Anthony Winderlich) #657

TPSC Forums, set to English and also the same bug.

(Hosein Naseri) #658

Some of my users report they can’t see what they are writing on mobile

(Steven-Anthony Winderlich) #659

Also happening for me on TPSC

(Andy at Focallocal) #660

the latest upgrade broke my site. here’s the error message i get in console:

_ember_jquery-a8dcbd3….js:28913 Error: Could not find module discourse/lib/emoji/toolbar imported from discourse/plugins/babble/discourse/widgets/babble-composer

the forum is at: discuss.focallocal.org

@gdpelican any suggestions?

(Hugo Roger) #662

I would revert the changes for now. They are actively pushing fixes for this plugin since it involves a lot of core functionality. You should report the issue here: Issues · gdpelican/babble · GitHub

(James Kiesel) #663

Yep I’m aware of it and will get a fix out as soon as I can put some time into it. Thanks for the report.

(Hosein Naseri) #664

It seems the plugin is broken for discourse v1.9.0.beta5 +32 . When I installed a fresh discourse with this plugin, I saw a blank page.

Update to 1.9.0.beta5 fails to start discourse after rebuild
(fearlessfrog) #665

Yep, we had to disable it unfortunately. @gdpelican I know you did this in your free time and it’s been a constant moving target, so genuine thanks for all you did.

Our users really liked it best when it was a chat bubble pop-up off the main page. When we went ‘full page chat’ it sort of lost interest, in that unless it was up-front for all on the main page then they just didn’t seem interested.

Now the plugin is removed via the app.yml, is there an easy way to do a ‘Mark as Read’ on any unread chats, considering it is not installed anymore? Is it just a case of deleting the ‘hidden’ topic it used?

Thanks for any help.

(Timothy Vail) #666

Is there anyone else working on this plugin that could fix the current error and make Babble functional again?

(Joe Seyfried) #667

One very nasty hot-fix would be to strip the emoji picker from the babble text field for the time being.

But before we give this ugly workaround any further thoughts, maybe @gdpelican can comment on the state of affairs?

(Timothy Vail) #668

That sounds good, how do you do that?

I just tried doing a fresh install and it borked the discourse install. having to remove it and revert. FYI.

(Paulo Figueiredo) #670

Yay!
babble isn’t compatible with 1.9.0.beta6.
After updating Discourse to 1.9.0.beta6 pages went black!..
I had to remove it from app.yml and rebuild discourse.

At the moment there hasn’t been any update on babble’s git.

that’s right, had the exact same issue.

(Sam Saffron) #672

Sorry @gdpelican moving this to #plugin:broken-plugin for now while you sort out compatibility with latest.

(Angus McLeod) #673

I’ve submitted a PR that makes Babble work with the latest.

You can use the branch directly if you want to use Babble again right now.