Bad Gateway for letter avatars

(Kevin McKinney) #1

This has happened to me sporadically, and I just updated to version 1.7.0.beta2 and it’s still happening. Seems similar to Sporadic missing letter avatars (cache problem?) but maybe not the same thing?

What happens is that from time to time, the letter avatars don’t appear correctly. It used to be that none of them would show up, and I’d just reboot the VM which seemed to fix it.

Today though, I was having issues with just two (T and A). And then randomly J started showing up, with just T being an issue now. We had a power failure last night so the VM was just started this morning, and then I upgraded Discourse to the latest version. That’s the only info I can think of that might be relevant.

The following appears in the console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 502 (Bad Gateway)     
http://feedbackloop/letter_avatar_proxy/v2/letter/t/f05b48/25.png

If I go to the image URL, I just see

502 Bad Gateway

nginx

If there’s any other info I could provide that would be helpful to troubleshoot, please let me know! I won’t rebuild the app or reboot for a little while just in case.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Recent versions of Ruby have made the service a bit unstable, from my understanding? I know @tgxworld has looked at it and the Docker containers have a cron job to reset the container (a fast operation) once per week.

(cpradio) #3

Was anyone else experiencing 502 errors with avatars this morning? Is it still happening? I have a few mods across the pond that are still having problems seeing letter avatars.

This is the image of their dev console that they posted

I can’t seem to recreate it both at home or at work (though I did recreate one this morning here at Meta, but it quickly resolved itself).