Blocks were last changed in December 2015/January 2016. You can read this topic if you want the nitty-gritty details.
Blocking and Suspending are two methods for dealing with users who you need to push “pause” on. They’re fairly similar, but have a few differences:
- Can be triggered by Staff from Admin page
- No “unblock” time given - must manually unblock the user
- Prevents user from creating new topics, posts, PMs, or replying to PMs
- User can still message (and respond to) staff PMs
- User can still like, bookmark, read, and do other logged-in actions
- Must give “unsuspend” time - can set it really far away to make it “forever”
- Suspension visible to users - reason for suspension can be seen on user profile
- User cannot log-in - thus no posting, liking, bookmarking, or interaction of any kind.
Does that explain the difference? I’m happy to share how we (Stonehearth Discourse) use the features, but that’s the technical details.