Banner Topic - controlling how much or what text is shown?

(Justin Pierce) #1

I went to :wrench: >Pin Topic>Banner Topic and it put the entire post as the banner. It’s a pretty big paragraph (enough for a scroll bar…) so I’d like to just have a summary up there with a link to read more. Based on examples, it seems possible to cut the text and have it say “Read More” so they can click for the entire post but I can’t figure out how to do that. This example even has a nice image and different text than the post. Thought maybe they just used html in the emergency banner in Settings, but that one doesn’t have an X for people to close.

When I got to “edit this banner” it just brings me to the post - if I edit that post, it just looks like a normal post edit. As far as I can tell, I can’t edit the banner independently of the post. Feel like I’m going crazy here.

edit: oh, do you just make a new thread specficially for banner, style it there, and unlist it? Kind of counter-intuitive.

(Mittineague) #2

I’m seeing one in the upper right.

Looks like the OP was purposely kept short so it will fit in the Banner spot.
Then maybe some CSS targeting it to make it look nice.

(Justin Pierce) #3

Normal banner topics have X, yes. The “global notice” in Settings does not.

But I think what people do is just make a separate, hidden, thread specifically for banner content. At least, that’s what I’m doing now.

(Mittineague) #4

I may be wrong, but I’ve always thought of that setting to be more for simple “emergency” use like a “scheduled downtime coming” or similar. Not for an “I want everyone to see this until they read it” type of thing.

(Tom Wrench) #5

Related to this, is it possible to use a hyperlink in the banner post to close the banner? Some of my users may not see/realise the x in the top right.

(Justin Pierce) #6

I think that’s correct – I was simply trying to find out how others seemed to do html type stuff and noticed the Global Notice allowed that, but wasn’t what they were doing.

(Mittineague) #7

I’ve (coincidence?) been experimenting with Banner a bit yesterday and today.

I like how noticing it can’t be avoided. So it’s good for very important things.

But there are several things about it that I don’t care for much.

If there is a lot of content, scrollbars are there.
No easy way to click to the topic to read replies if it has any.
The Dismiss is different UI than clicking the pin icon or pin button (as said,some might miss that)
It shows on literally every page until it gets dismissed. (which could be annoying if you don’t know how to dismiss it)

I’m leaning towards liking Globally Pinned better.
Problem being many seem to skip over those even with them being at the top of lists and having an excerpt.

I’m far from being a CSS expert, but as long as you know the topic id this seems like a better compromise (not fully tested for cross-browser support yet)

tr.has-excerpt[data-topic-id="124"] td.main-link {
 background-color: rgba(255, 255, 0, 0.2);
 outline: solid 1px #FF0;
}

(Mittineague) #8

You might like Admin -> Customize -> CSS/HTML Top better if you have a lot of content and don’t want scrollbars.

(Alex "Rota" Freeman) #9

I’ve been looking and can’t find a direct answer to this:
Is there a way to have different banners for different trust levels?

I’ve moved all of my content from 0 to 1, because the forum is a ‘walled garden’. The owner of the content only wants invited people to access.

I have a nice “Read First” for the invited people (trust_1+), but I want to create a different one for everyone else (trust_0) which is not seen by trust 1-4.

Thoughts?