"Be appropriate" guidelines - is it even possible to have one?

(Caue Rego) #1

Continuing the discussion from Why do the mods close some topics and others not?:

For the post edited before this one, I was warned by an automatic message I got my post hidden due to many people flagging it. I was using a “s” word there, instead of “number 2”, and I can only think it was thanks to that… (you can see it how the post was before by clicking on the pencil edit button on the top right corner).

Now, I’m your regular non-sensical insensitive guy who can’t understand why people ever even get offended by written words on a internet forum. On top of that, the context there was, imho, very clearly not meant to offend anyone.

• Was this indeed the reason I was flagged? And…

• Do you have any other guidelines for people like me, who’s often “innapropriate”, without the slightest intent?

I mean, simply saying things like “Be civil. Don’t post anything that a reasonable person would consider offensive, abusive, or hate speech.” and “Keep it clean. Don’t post anything obscene or sexually explicit.” are far from enough for me. I would never consider my message there offensive.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

OK, so maybe now you will. We expect professional behavior here.

Anyway, it was flagged, hidden with PM, you edited to fix, and now everything is as it should be. All good. Maybe we learned something in the process.

System Working As Designed.

(Matches) #3

Generally one does not associate professional behavior with a shooting star image.

(Salman, Freelance Developer) #4

That’s debatable…

(Daniel Gagnon) #5

In my experience, very informal offices are the best. :smile:

(Rahul Dhingra) #6

@Matches
It depends

(Caue Rego) #7

Just maybe… :stuck_out_tongue: