Beginner Prerequisites For Using Discourse

(Joseph Iwok) #1

I am a beginner in web programming and only have a basic knowledge of HTML, CSS and little of Ruby. I want to use Discourse to build a forum for my school and I want to find out the things I need to know before moving ahead to using Discourse. Thank You.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sure, the main thing is to follow the install guide. Once you install there will be a READ ME FIRST topic in the staff category, read that to continue.

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Hi @Joseph_Iwok! Welcome to our world!

Are you a student or a teacher? I’m an education professor and very interested in how Discourse can support teaching and learning. Feel free to ask questions here or in a personal message (one way is to click the flag below and choose the “contact the poster privately” (or something like that) ). I’ll be happy to help you figure out how to get Discourse to support your school.

(Joseph Iwok) #4

Thank you @codinghorror for the reply and thank you @pfaffman; I will send you a PM

(Jeff Atwood) #5

You may wish to spend a bit more time reading topics here as new users cannot send PMs. To leave the new user sandbox you must read more topics.

(Joseph Iwok) #6

Alright; I’ll do that; though I do not understand most of the technical jargons here.