Best guides for creating Discourse plugins?

(AstonJ) #1

Is this one still the best place to start? (It’s from 2015)

To start with I just want to do something simple; have a ‘Spotlight’ feature to appear in our digest email but for the contents of the block to be randomly chosen (or cycled) from a group of possible spotlight articles (either per individual digest sent out, or rotated on an hourly or daily basis). They’d only be a single paragraph with a single image.

Which guides do you think are best suited to achieve this?

Any other tips (such as reading order of guides/threads) would also be appreciated :slight_smile:

(Mittineague) #2

I don’t know if it would be the “best” place for you to start, but it wouldn’t hurt any working through them. If only to get a feel for how things work and tossing the plugins after you get them working.

The examples aren’t so much what they do, but how they do it.

After that, you’ll be better able to look at different working plugins and understand them even if they don’t have step-by-step instructions. With luck you’ll be able to find code that almost does what you’re looking to do and either modify it or scavenge from it.

(Joe) #3

In case you missed it. I’ve been meaning to go through this for a few days now. Looks really well put together