[beta] Sidebar Plugin (widget-driven)

(Benjamin Kampmann) #1

Ah, X-mas. Eventually, a little distraction-free time to finish things, clean up old cruft and tying things together – so they can eventually get published.

You might have read about it before. But before it needed some nasty discourse patches. Well, finally we are at a state where this isn’t necessary anymore. So without further ado, I’d like to introduce:

The Sidebar Plugin

From the Readme:

This plugins provides a sidebar as a third-party tool to be used for discourse. The sidebar is widget oriented, can be configured from the backend and allows other plugins to add other widgets to the sidebar.

Attention: By itself this plugin does not add a sidebar to discourse. It merely allows other plugins to use the sidebar and add it to discourse. If you want to have the entire app wrapped with the sidebar, make sure to install simple-sidebar-theme-plugin.

You can find the installation instructions, configuration notes in the Readme. And there is an extensive documentation on how to provide widgets with any other third-party plugins.

We have this plugin in internal usage for a couple of month now and refined it a lot. I’d love to get some more public feedback. It is however, still in a Beta-Mode!

Simple Sidebar Theme
Custom Layouts Plugin
(Joe Seyfried) #2

Sorry - I guess I’m just stupid. I just cloned both sidebar and simple-sidebar-theme into my plugin directory, ran a bundle exec rake assets, restarted unicorn, and ended up with this error on my front end:

Error: Could not find module discourse/plugins/sidebar/discourse/helpers/sidebar_widgets

I thought the combo sidebar+theme should give me a quick look before I start coding my own widgets? I really guess I’m missing something fundamentally easy - could you give me a hint?

(Benjamin Kampmann) #3

Hey @JSey,

that sounds like an error I just had before and thought I had fixed by doing exactly that renaming to helpers/sidebar_widgets . Could you PM me an public address to your instance so I can take a look and confirm it is the same?

There seems to be an issue that the order in which es6-files are loaded isn’t always the same nor deterministic (or dependent, as one might would assume, considering it is using the required-library … )

(Joe Seyfried) #4

PM sent! Please let me know when you have any news.

can I put Google Adsense code in the widget?

(Pad Pors) #6

with the current changes in discourse, is the plugin still working?

I couldn’t make it work. any especial setting ?
I didn’t any on-off setting as well.

(Daniela) #7

It seems that @lightyear no longer works on his plugins. Some of his plugins (like checklist) were adopted by @cpradio.