Better "Category definition for" Title

(Tom Spilman) #1

The phrase “Category definition for XXXXX” looks and sounds clumsy to me. Just “category definition” itself seems like technical jargon at first.

I have been renaming mine to “About XXXXX” or “About the XXXXX category” which seems more user friendly to me.

(Sam Saffron) #2

Yeah, I prefer that wording “Category definition” is kind of scary.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Yeah I was thinking we should improve this soon. That’s a good suggestion, to change from:

Category definition for Foo

to

About the Foo category

… anyone else?

(Tom Spilman) #4

My only other idea was something like this…

It makes it less wordy by calling out that “Feature” is a category.

(Sam Saffron) #5

I dunno that button feels a bit loud and out of place to me.

(Tom Spilman) #6

Yea… it does, but i could see the category description standing out a little more than the rest. It is a special thing that sort of deserves special attention.

Maybe formatting the box smaller like it is done for the Category column is less objectionable?

Anyway… just throwing out ideas.

(Dave McClure) #7

You could almost get rid of showing the title altogether (aside from the fact that that would then require making something else, like the summary, clickable for navigation)

Save that, you could do:

• About this category
    Discussion about features or potential features…

Since the category label is rendered nearby that may suffice.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Except, we’re kind of strict about not having duplicate topic titles. That would be a duplicate topic title. It also makes it totally relative to where you are, which is a bit odd.

(Dave McClure) #9

About the Foo Category

feels like a sensible, friendly sounding default to me in that case (which two of you already suggested).

Since category names are usually very short, I think this reads better than “About Bug” or “About Feature”

(Jeff Atwood) #10

OK that change is in now.

(Jeff Atwood) #11