Bitnami Discourse + docker-mailserver - There was a problem sending the test email

Hi!

So I’m spinning up a Discourse instance for a community and I decided to self host the mail server to avoid paying for a mail service. I chose docker-mailserver because everything else I’m hosting is docker, to facilitate portability, GitOps, declarative config, etc…

I’m using docker compose and bitnami’s discourse image. My config is as follows:

SMTP_HOST: mail # yes it looks odd but it's totally valid, this points to the mail container
SMTP_PORT: "587" # not super sure if this is correct, it's the "TLS" port
SMTP_USER: admin@forum.domain.com
SMTP_PASSWORD: ${DISCOURSE_SMTP_PASS}
SMTP_TLS: "true"

This is set for both the Discourse container and the Sidekiq container - as per Bitnami’s docs.

When I send a test email, the only useful info I get is from the mailserver log:

postfix/submission/smtpd[10620]: connect from ###_discourse_1.gateway[172.30.0.14]
postfix/submission/smtpd[10620]: Anonymous TLS connection established from ###_discourse_1.gateway[172.30.0.14]: TLSv1.2 with cipher ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (256/256 bits)
postfix/submission/smtpd[10620]: lost connection after STARTTLS from ###_discourse_1.gateway[172.30.0.14]
postfix/submission/smtpd[10620]: disconnect from ###_discourse_1.gateway[172.30.0.14] ehlo=1 starttls=1 commands=2

And this popped up on the Discourse log:

discourse_1   | Completed 422 Unprocessable Entity in 3139ms (Views: 0.4ms | ActiveRecord: 17.5ms)

Nothing on Sidekiq.

I can’t seem to figure this one out so I would love some help or just a pointer in the right direction!

Thanks!

Bitnami Discourse isn’t a supported install here. We only support Discourse install that follow the Official Install Guide.

1 Like

The official install wasn’t working out for our use-case (completely automated container-only deployment). But bitnami’s is just normal discourse on the inside, I don’t see how that would have much effect on this issue. Is there no way I can get some help with this problem then?

You’re completely welcome to get support here at Meta, it just won’t be from the Discourse team. That’s why we tag the topic #unsupported-install but don’t close it.

3 Likes