Bitnami discourse + google cloud + G suite

(Henrique Elias) #1

Hi, how can i do discourse work with gsuite?

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

First, you don’t do it with Bitnami. It’s old, broken, and unsupported.

Gmail is not recommended because it’s a violation of their terms of service, but I think that it should be OK with G suite, maybe.

Discourse is a standard SMTP client. You have to do stuff to let Google log in without its regular checks.

You get 10K messages/month free with Mailgun (and the other recommended providers have similar free levels).

(Carlos Rodríguez Hernández) #3

Hi @Henrique_Elias,

You can take a look at the Bitnami docs, you can find a section about How To Configure Outbound Email Settings including a subsection about “Troubleshooting Gmail SMTP Issues”.

According to GitHub, the official Discourse image was released on Oct 30, 2017, 4:18 PM GMT+1 while the Bitnami one was published on Oct 30, 2017, 8:05 PM GMT+1, so yes, the Bitnami container is 4 hours older than the official one, too much time?
I do not understand this opposition because I am using it intensively, for example developing plugins, and it works fine.

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

That’s great news. Historically, people have had lots of problems with it, including not being able to upgrade.

There are still some quirks with how it works, I think, which is why it remains unsupported.

(Joe) #5

I installed the Bitnami Google Cloud image. Other image components might be updated / patched but Discourse was v1.8.9-dirty - 25 days ago - while the official release at the same time was 1.9.0.beta14

I also found that updating Discourse on the Bitnami image to be a bit unclear / troublesome and next to impossible if you don’t really know what you’re doing.