Blank category descriptions

(Maestro Magnifico) #1

Sometimes category names are self-explanatory and they don’t need descriptions. For example, on my forum I have category Dota 2 - what else here to explain? Making unnecessary descriptions like “this is category for Dota 2” is a terrible thing. At first I thought I can make descriptions blank by putting default text there, but nope - once you edited description, there is no way back.

I fixed this by creating new category and moved all sub-categories there, then just deleted old one with “broken” description topic. Now I just scared to touch those description topics. Can you please add a legit way to disable descriptions on some categories?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sorry, there is no way to do this. You will need a description for the category.

(Kane York) #3

Critically, the category description shows up when you hover over the category…

(Blu McCormick) #4

I also would like to not have a category description as the name of the category is sufficient.

Since 2015, when this topic was created, has anyone figured out a way to get around this? e.g. Put something in the category description edit box to fulfill that criteria, but have nothing appear to users in the space allotted to category description. Trick the software, so to speak . . .

Or perhaps someone has used customized css successfully to remove this requirement?

Thanks in advance.

(Blu McCormick) #5

Ok, I figured out how to get around it and am posting here my solution. If there are any downstream problems, I’ll post here as well.

Just upload a jpg instead of typing words, and the category description is blank. :joy: Who knew?

Here is the result for one example category:

Cheers.