Blank page on BlackBerry 10 browser

(John Reid) #1

I can’t seem to access Discourse on a BlackBerry 10 browser at the moment. I just see a blank page.

I wondered if anyone else is having the samd issue.

I’m going to try and run the web inspecter later and see if I can get any other info later.

(John Reid) #2

OK,

first of all on MY BlackBerry Z30 I’m gettings this error in the console:

QuotaExceededError: DOM Exception 22: An attempt was made to add something to storage that exceeded the quota. 

Although, I’ve just had a chat in a BB developer group and it seems hit and miss if the pages are loading or not for others.

I’m happy to work around this but I’d really like to get to the bottom of what is causing the issue. The web inspector is clearly showing that everything is loading properly in the browser - but this error is preventing anything from being rendered.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Perhaps this a bug in the browser on the device?

Still, I don’t think we write anything like 5MB of data to localstorage. I don’t see anything at all remotely close to large in the resources panel, Local Storage, in Chrome

(John Reid) #4

Thanks for replying Jeff.

This seems to be hit and miss. I’ve get 3 devices sat in front of me. 2 work, one doesn’t, The one that doesn’t is my daily driver, (typical).

This was a first access error, and since then I’ve reset the browser settings etc so it is likely to be a browser bug.

I’ve tweeted the BB Twtter account and I’m going to sign into Jira tonight and see if there’s a bug specifically for the Browser rather than the Webworks framework.

If you have any thoughts on what I could try ere then I’ll happily give it a go :slight_smile:

(Sam Saffron) #5

Hmmm, could it be that localStorage is simply being disallowed on BB. We store a minuscule amount of data there.

(John Reid) #6

The localstorage is definitely allowed.

The BlackBerry 10 browser is top of the charts for HTML5 compliance so I must have stumbled on a bug with my device which is pretty annoying :open_mouth:

Time to roll up my sleeves and set up a developer environment for Discourse I suppose now I’m actually running a forum I have a good reason to spend some time looking into these things. :smiley:

(John Reid) #7

And as if by magic, the latest update seems to have fixed the issue.

Just as I was getting my developer build set up too!

I’ll keep going though because as said I am planning on helping out with Discourse in the future where I can.

Thanks for your help guys!

(Sam Saffron) #8

That was me, I made localStorage optional. Turns out that under some condition BB is rejecting us from using that feature.

(Jeff Atwood) #9