Blank png images for some avatars

(Nick Putman) #1

Usually discourse defaults to avatars with the first letter of the username, but I am now occasionally seeing blank avatars, both for new and pre-existing users. I can download a png for these avatars, but they are just blank pngs.

How can I go about troubleshooting this?

Thanks,

Nick

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

Any errors in logs, either your browser console or yoursite.com?

(Andrew Waugh) #3

We had something like this intermittently just after we went live. It affected individual users, some with default avatars, some which had uploaded their own. It was only a few users, and it seemed to stay that way for those who were affected. Their profile preferences showed the right avatar, but the avatars were blank on the topic and thread views.

At that time we were also getting timeout issues, probably because of system load. We added the “Discourse Whos Online” plugin and updated discourse and the problem went away.

I’m not sure if it was the plugin, or the update which fixed it, but the problem went away without any additional steps.

(Nick Putman) #4

Thanks for these replies. There are no errors in the logs or the console. I have installed the discourse who’s online plugin and have the latest version of discourse installed, and still the issue with blank avatars for all new users.

(Nick Putman) #5

It looks like the issue is related to the Wordpress plugin, and specifically the SSO feature - when users are logging in their profile picture is getting set to a 90px square blank PNG image (which is the current setting for avatars in WP), instead of staying with the current setting (the default image - the first letter of their username).

It didn’t used to be the case that the WP plugin reset the avatar. Is this now the intended behaviour @Simon_Cossar?

Thanks.

(Simon Cossar) #6

I think the change with this happened on the Discourse end. Nothing to do with avatars has changed in the wp-discourse code. I’m going to be looking at finding a fix for this later this week.

(Nick Putman) #7

Hi Simon. Did you make any progress with this issue?