Blocking user from replying to my post or my posts

(Charles Walter) #1

Might seem like a crazy idea, but a user of our community just asked us about this, and I thought it was worth discussion.

We are constantly bombarded with complaints about trolling / harassment.

What if there was a feature (or plugin) that allowed users to have more control over the topics they create. And if they see someone replying inappropriately to their thread, they have the control to block the user from the thread (or perhaps all their threads).

Too crazy? Too DB intensive? or perhaps an iteration of the idea could make sense?

Discourse has a great number of features for flagging posts, but I think there could be opportunities on flagging users and the implications that flagging a User could have on their ability to participate in the community. ex: if we see a particular user is blocked by X other users, then we can take more serious action against this user.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

There has been some discussion of an enhanced topic/time/category user mute that could feed back into flags. I have on my todo list to create a feature topic about it for discussion.

(Charles Walter) #3

Awesome @codinghorror. Glad to know it’s in the realm of possibility.

I’d expect user action is more likely when users can see the direct impact it has on their own personal experience (ex. Hiding a user from their facebook feed). If we can then harness that information to improve the user experience for the entire community, and even warn users about heir negative behavior, that should really help with auto-regulation of the community.

(Griff Wigley) #4

Has there been any action/progress on this feature request?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

It’s a hotly debated topic:

In short, we’re not very interested in such a feature and there’s not much more to discuss. Your best bet would be to commission a plugin through #marketplace.

The final upshot is that we’d welcome it into core if someone submits a PR. We’re not against the idea, we just won’t invest our own time into building it.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

The above two posts aren’t quite right. I am open to doing it but it’s a fair bit of work to do it right, because as I said above:

If you read that sentence very very closely, you can see where the work is, I hope :wink: