Blockquote CSS troubles with Markdown

Hello again Discourse,

I’m trying to modify the look of quotes displayed on my forum to appear as simply a green text, since my users aren’t really used to blocky quotes.

What the problem is, is that I can only apply the style to a paragraph within the block quote, and the markdown editor treats a single line break as the same paragraph and only adds a <br>, probably by design. This means that the text right underneath a block quote also gets treated as part of the quote, which is incorrect behavior in my opinion. Here’s an example:

Without the CSS:

Adding a quotation mark before both lines doesn’t make a difference:

Now with the custom style:

My idea is to only turn the blockquote into simple green text while preserving the quotation mark as well, like on most imageboards. This is the style I’m using:

blockquote {
    border: 0;
    color: #789922;
    background: transparent;
}
blockquote p::before {
    content:'>';
    white-space: nowrap;
}

blockquote p::after {
    content: "\A";
  white-space: pre;
}

One solution could be, the editor makes a new paragraph after each line break (pressing enter) thus applying the style and the “before” content correctly.

Any help will be appreciated.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Nope this is correct Markdown behavior. If you want a proper paragraph, they must have lines between them. See http://commonmark.org

So absolutely no way I can change it? That’s a bummer. :frowning:

(Mittineague) #4

One thing that I can think of that would cause problems with automatically changing line breaks into paragraphs is when a new line should not be a new paragraph. eg. a list.

Not that it couldn’t be done, only that it wouldn’t be as simple as it may first appear to be. Hitting enter is simple enough, no?

Does anyone have an idea which file I’d need to edit to make it work? Editing files in the app did not help, since they reset after rebuilding.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

You’d need to make a plugin to have changes persist through rebuilds.

(Kane York) #7

Markdown is block-based, not line-based. Any method of doing what you want (per-line quotes) would be a massive overhaul of the text rendering process and break built-in text.