Our current categories page does not scale that well to large amounts of categories. On a personal note I do not use it.
I find myself using all the other tabs, but not it. It has a bunch of issues at scale:
- It displays too much information, you need to do a lot of scrolling to figure out what is going on.
- I find the double column thing confusing
- I find it is missing a bunch of important information (how many unread/new topics do I have? who last posted? (which can be hidden by pins)
- It lacks stable ordering
So we set out to make a new categories page that is more “traditional” which will set the stage for subcategories and large scale forums.
To enable, tick
I went ahead and enabled this on meta so we can all try it out:
This work is still unfinished, but its a reasonable first pass.
On my TODO
- When clicking on “unread” or “new” count it should take you to
/category/my_category/newwhich filters down to new in that category.
- Implement an optional “fixed ordering” for categories
- Make categories better “first class citizens”, when drilling to a category all top menu items should be filtered down.
- “Uncategorized” is an internal mess, force all uncategorized topics into an “uncategorized” proper category.