Broken profile pics only at 25x25px version

(Fernando Stefanini) #1

Hi!

Some users in my forum have been experiencing some weird behavior with small profile pics in the topics wall. Some pics are broken only in the smaller version, but once you click on them to expand they show up just fine. You can check it here:

Only thing we’ve done was: once we migrated the forum we deleted the job queue from sidekiq (because we had to o many posts and users and that created around 2.000.000 jobs for PostCrawling, gravatar update and etc). Could that be the reason, and is there a way to fix it if it is?

Can anybody help me with this? :grinning:

(Mittineague) #2

My guess is that is the link decoration (avatars are rounded using CSS border-radius).
Firefox dev tools is a bit confusing

a {
  color: #08C;
  text-decoration: none;
   text-decoration-color: -moz-use-text-color;
   text-decoration-line: none;
   text-decoration-style: solid;
  cursor: pointer;
}

I’m not a CSS expert, but it seems odd that if it’s “none” there would be other declarations below it.
* AFAIK the “-moz-” should now be currentColor

I can’t repro it here with Firefox latest

Have you checked using different browsers?

(Luke S) #3

Question to help clarify:

Is this seen by all your users, and if so are they all seeing this issue with the same avatars?

Or do only certain users see the issue, and if so, are there commonalities in the browsers/platforms they are viewing from?

(Fernando Stefanini) #4

I didn’t think of checking other browsers before, but still the problem persisted in safari, chrome and firefox :confused:

(Mittineague) #5

I have a feeling this might be the cause, especially if the cached CSS is old or missing.

If running every sidekiq job in one go is too much, I think there is a way to limit jobs piecemeal, but I don’t really know for sure or how to do it if it is possible.

(Fernando Stefanini) #6

@Mittineague, @Sailsman63 I did some testing here in different computers and I found out that some computers are fetching the 50px image, even for the smaller versions (probably because of retina displays). So the problem seems to be that some images are not being provided in the 25px size (it’s always the same images that break).

So I guess the new question is, how to generate the missing 25px images? Preferably without queueing 1.000.000 jobs in sidekiq. Any thoughts?

(Sam Saffron) #7

Stuff will be a bit broken if you nuked the job queue. Posts will not be baked properly amongst all sorts of issues.

What is the URL of the broken image? What does chrome dev tools show when you access it? Are you running latest?

(Fernando Stefanini) #8

We figured that posts wouldn’t be baked, but that was minor as we needed a quick migration, and because of the amount of posts and users, the queue was truly endless and probably would delay us for about 5 whole days. :confused:

a broken one looks like this:
/user_avatar/www.guj.com.br/roger75/25/352_1.png
while the working one for the same pic is
/user_avatar/www.guj.com.br/roger75/120/352_1.png

Chrome dev tools doesn’t log anything interesting when I access the broken one, it’s loads the page anyway with a blank page, and shows a 304 regarding the request for the image from the topic’s list.

yep ^^