Bug in "Create Topic" Category setting - Mac OS / Chrome / Safari

(Bcguy) #1

Whenever I great a new topic on my discussion boards it defaults to the same Category (its not alphabetical, its not first, its not last in the list of categories - so must be random?) for every new topic I create - from Chrome or Safari.

For some people the default is “No Category” - which is sort of ok, but even better would be “Choose a Category…”

This is frustrating - because I know that when I open the forum to the public that people will skip over this and just post the message - even though it has nothing to do with that category.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Are you making category selection mandatory?

I can’t reproduce what you describe on http://try.discourse.org at all, but categories are optional by default in Discourse.

(Bcguy) #3

Yes - I make category selection Mandatory. Is that the problem?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I agree that a random category being selected by default when categories are mandatory is not great.

I agree that “select a category…” should probably appear there, so at least they have to browse the category selector and can’t mindlessly press the create topic button without thinking about it. @neil can you add that to your list when you are back?

(Neil Lalonde) #5

I pushed this change. Enjoy!

(Bcguy) #6

Fantastic Neil,

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #7