Building a client that embeds forums a la Slack or Franz

So I’ve this kinda need…

Let’s say most dev communities are already build on discourse anyway, so it’s easy to envision as someone battling with upgrading from designer to fullstack dev, I would like to have the Discourse, Graph.Cool, Elixir, Atom, and various other dev minded communities I like in the same app, not browser dependant…

What’d ya think, If I make this Open Source should I have any problems with Discrouse Inc.

Not interested into lawyers getting on the way of a fun hackathon project.

I have some ideas/features that would be nice to add.

• Use some JS framework that translates good to native, Im on macOS but supporting Win and Linux would be a good start to charm developers from all ecosystems

• Make it easy to remember added communities/forums, and maybe save login in localStorage or something safe…

• Being able to search indexed stuff would be awesome, but not sure that anything else than an embed is possible. Maybe trying to create a -library- of visited topics to browse offline would be could, I dont know.

• Being able to modify CSS, what would be interesting here, is that since Im constraining for discourse for now, try to make themes like DARKNESS for meta, available for any discourse forum with the client, maybe not be perfect, but a good hack for late night browsing…

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Sorry, I do not understand what you are talking about here?

Sorry.

Would it be ok if I build a client or native app to embed different forums like slack client does for slack communities, or www.meetfranz.com for chat services?

Is that clearer?

(Jeff Atwood) #5

This already exists check the iOS and Play stores for the Discourse app?

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

I think he means a desktop app.

Yes, I mean for desktop, I hate cellphones and is easy for me to go by the entire day without checking it.

I want to build an ElectronJS app to embed Discourse Forums which displays a group of forums in tabs, with icons (title optional), that integrates Notifications without the need to have chrome or other browsers open, and that saves for me my login details of each forum in a safely manner in localStorage…

Does that make more sense?

My question is, will you as Discourse be OK with this if is open-source and donation ware at much as a business plan goes?

I just want to build it for me and practice really

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Sure seems fine to me.

(David García-Navas) #9

We submitted a service request in Franz in order to have Discourse inside this app, for our organization would be very interesting to have the forum in a desktop app :slightly_smiling_face:

@schpn have you started with your own desktop app proyect? Perhaps we could collaborate :wink: