Bullet list Markdown bug?

(Rich Brown) #1

Testing Bulleted lists… Possible Markdown bug…

Hypothesis: bullet lists always need a blank line before and after the bullets, and must be followed by closing text.

UPDATE This looks OK here on the main Discourse. We’re using v1.7.0.beta7 on the LEDE forum, see Curious about LEDE web site statistics? - Site Feedback and Other Questions - LEDE Project Forum for further discussion…

Here’s my test text - verbatim
Starting line of text

• bullet
  • another bullet
    Closing line of text

Add a blank line before the bullets (Note that the closing line becomes part of the final bullet)
Starting line of text

• bullet
  • another bullet
    Closing line of text

Add a blank line before and after the bullets (Now the list appears as expected)
Starting line of text

• bullet
  • another bullet

Closing line of text

No closing line of text (This looks OK in preview mode - there’s the starting line, with two bulleted items. But they lose their bullets when I post this…)
Starting line of text

• bullet
  • another bullet

I’ve got same “bug” in my forum, but here works fine :frowning:
(and in sandbox too)

Update:
Test something:

1. Look this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Code:
* 1. Look this. :P

(Jeff Atwood) #3

This is normal Markdown, no bug here whatsoever.

You should test on Babelmark because there is no “spec” for Markdown other than consensus based on observed implementations.

(Rich Brown) #4

Yes, but…

I realize that Markdown is not standardized, but why the different behavior between Preview pane and the final message, and between our version and meta.discourse.org?

1. The appearance of the preview differs from the final message. (The preview shows the two bullet items, while the final posting doesn’t even show “-” in front of those lines)
  2. The behavior of our instance (using v1.7.0beta1) differs from this forum (where the behavior is as expected).
  3. See the two screen shots below to see what I think is odd behavior.

Note: I am not worried about whether this is declared a bug or not. I’m just pointing out an oddity, in the spirit of, “We promise not to fix it if we don’t know it’s broke…”

Thanks.

Composing and Preview…

Resulting message… (after clicking “Reply”)

(Jeff Atwood) #5

That’s a problem with local CSS on your site, it looks like.

(Rich Brown) #6

Cooool… I’ll come back here if I can’t find out where to fix the CSS on my own. Thanks!