Can an Admin split a post into a separate topic?

(Rodrigo Farcas) #1

Can I split a reply into a different topic as an Admin?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes,

1. click or tap the topic wrench
  2. choose Select Posts
  3. select the posts you want to move
  4. select merge or split.

(TechnoBear) #3

Just to warn you: although the post will remain attributed to the original member, the new topic will be attributed to you as creator, and will show up in the topic list on your profile, not the member’s. Somewhat confusing, in my book.

(Rodrigo Farcas) #4

This looks like something that should be fixed, as the starter should be the author of the post

(Michael Downey) #5

You can change the ownership of the first post of the newly-created topic to workaround this bug.

(Also in the wrench menu.)

(Mittineague) #6

That seems to change the ownership of the post but not ownership of the topic

(Michael Downey) #7

Is there such a concept as topic ownership?

See also:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/changing-ownership-of-posts/17331/4?u=downey&source_topic_id=25373

(Mittineague) #8

If you go to your Profile and you have started topics there will be a Topic button in the menu that will show all the topics you created (or moved)

I don’t know how it works with reply notifications, I haven’t tested that yet.

(Lê Trần Đạt) #9

Do you mean?

• move to existing topic
  • move to new topic

(Kane York) #10

Yes, “Move to new topic” = “split” and “move to existing topic” = “merge”.

(Mittineague) #11

I haven’t noticed any unexpected behavior with the “merge” - existing topic
The oddness happens with the “split” - new topic

I’ll leave @rodrigofarcas to further explain specific concerns

(Michael Downey) #12

If you merge the only post in a 1-post topic, the old (merged) post sticks around and is not deleted, so you actually get two copies of the same post (1 merged into the new topic, and the original).

(Kane York) #13

Yeah, the admin needs to manually decide what to do with the topic stub; a topic without a first post causes mayhem.

(Michael Downey) #14

True but it seems like planning for the single-post-in-a-topic case to always delete the topic (rather than keep it around) would be sane. Maybe I’m missing something.

(Kane York) #15

It used to do that, but people complained - someone now has a notification for a topic that got deleted.

(cpradio) #16

Wouldn’t the better solution be to remove notifications from the stream if the topic is deleted (much like what @sam wants to tackle at Notification for hidden topic requires me to “Mark all Notifications as Read”)

Actually @sam just fixed the Deleted part! So really the initial complaint is now gone…

(TechnoBear) #17

No - ownership of the first post remains with the member who made it, but the topic is attributed to the mod who moved it. In this case, the post has always belonged to christjerry413, but I’m shown as the creator of the topic, and the topic is listed in my profile, not theirs. (The post is in theirs, but there is nothing shown under “topics”.)

As a moderator, I don’t really want my own topic list filling up with topics which are nothing to do with me.

(Michael Downey) #18

Agreed.

But why should these be conceptually two separate things? A regular human user can’t tell the difference.

(TechnoBear) #19

As far as I’m concerned, both the post and the topic should belong to the member who made the post. It’s daft and confusing to have topics attributed to somebody who has never posted in them.

(TechnoBear) #20

So I have a question about the current situation.

In my example, I moved the post and am credited with creating the topic, but the OP has always belonged to christjerry413. Supposing that had been an interesting post and attracted 10 likes to gain a “nice topic” badge. To whom would the badge be awarded? The member who made the interesting post, or the moderator whose only contribution was to move it?

Justice says the badge should go to the member; consistency says it should go to the moderator, as that is who the topic is credited to.

I don’t know what would actually happen. Can anybody enlighten me?