Can I force display of name instead of/alongside username?

(Jim Kennedy) #1

I’m an admin on a new Discourse instance for use inside the company, so a private instance.

When users register they set their own name (say John Smith) and username (say Mr. Vanilli); that’s cool. However, when someone posts you just see Mr. Vanilli and you have to click in to see that Mr. Vanilli is really John Smith.

Unfortunately we are rolling this out to about 1000 users at a place of work, so I’d like for everyone to see without clicking that it’s John Smith. Sorry to be so corporate, but can that be done? I can’t find it anywhere.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes, there is an admin site setting for this, I believe it is “display name on posts”. Simply check that option.

(Sander Datema) #3

Right now that option shows both the username and the full name next to each other which is a bit overkill.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Is it overkill? Twitter doesn’t think so. And you need the shorter, unique @name for mentions…

(Jim Kennedy) #5

Cheers @codinghorror, that’s exactly what I needed. Been looking at the admin screens for two weeks now but didn’t see that one. In reply to @Sander78, the use-case for me is that I need everyone to be able to know who all the other users are, but lots of my users also want to use nicknames. This allows for both, so I can ease off on being a pedant about ‘no nicknames.’

(Sander Datema) #6

Alright, it maybe no overkill. On my forum it looked a bit silly because usernames are first names and when the full name is added it looks like overkill.

Since that’s a specific user case, I can understand it’s not completely overkill.

I have to say though that Twitter has a more distinct difference in layout for usernames and full names.

(Jim Kennedy) #7

Now I can force the display of both Name and Username. Cool.

Follow up question: Is there any way to prevent my users from editing their Name afterwards? I now have a couple of cases of ‘Mr. Vanilli + John Smith’ becoming ‘Mr. Vanilli + John’

(Michael Downey) #8

Same (often) for us. It’d be a win to have some control over whether one or both (user id and/or name) are displayed, and to choose the order of which is first. :moneybag:

(Andrew Waugh) #9

Would it be possible to display a custom user field as well as the Username and Name? If you had a custom field for “Department” for example, then you could configure the system to show Username, Name, and Department?

(Sam Saffron) #10

You can use title for that… ^^^ co-founder

(Stan Tyan) #11

display name on posts setting does not work if users are registered via Facebook or Google sign-in, even if these users have provided their full name during registration. in their posts, only username is displayed.

Howe to fix this?

Also, when a user is registered via email, it works, but username is displayed before the full name like this:

How to make it vice versa like on this forum, first Full name then username?

I’ve checked the source html and the order of span elements “second full-name” and “first username” is different from this forum. I have the latest discourse version.

(cpradio) #12

Look for the following Admin > Setting
prioritize username in ux

(Stan Tyan) #13

Thank you so much!! This solved the 2nd issue, and now full name is displayed before username.

However, now users who are signed-in via Facebook or Google have only full name displayed, and other users (who registered with emails) have both Full name and username displayed. Inconsistency.

I’m just interested is it a bug, or it’s supposed to be like this?

Even here in this thread, if you find my post or by Jim Kennedy, they don’t have usernames displayed. Why?

(Régis Hanol) #14

Is his username something like “Jim_Kennedy”? If so, then, that’s because we don’t show the username if it’s too similar in order to remove repetitive content :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #15

Better control here is planned, see this topic for full info

(Stan Tyan) #16

Yes, that is the case. Some of the usernames have patterns like:
FirstName_LastName or FirstNameLastName

Thank you so much for the explanation.

(Amar Kumar) #18

Hi guys, currently the notifications on my discourse forum show the username instead of the fullname. Is it possible to tweak this?