Can I Install discourse in local area network and use it for my college?

(Mohansriramakrishna) #1

In my university there is a local area network I want to install in local server and use it for whole university

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

It depends on how your university network is configured. Does your up stay the same? Can computers from all over campus access your subnet?

The easiest way to find out is to try. You’ll need a domain name, either from the university or your own. They might have rules against other domains pointing in their network, but it’s probably easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Go for it.

(Mohansriramakrishna) #3

We run local websites using xampp and can be used by everyone

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

On a university server, or on your own computer?

(Mohansriramakrishna) #5

on university server there is a specific ip that can be accesible to everyone

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

You’ll need a computer that can run docker and you have root access.

(Mohansriramakrishna) #7

yes i have a computer in server room and I am a developer for local websites. I run server on xampp and that server is in ubuntu

(Jay Pfaffman) #8

Then remove or turn off apache and follow the install cloud docs.

(Mohansriramakrishna) #9

do we need internet. Internet is available only in server rooms. Not in whole university

(cpradio) #10

You will need Internet to clone the repo from GitHub, download Docker and the Docker Image and to download NPM packages neccessary for running Discourse.

All of those will be necessary for upgrading Discourse too.

(Jay Pfaffman) #11

If the machine you have access to is accessible to other computers running xammp then it will be when running Discourse.

(Mohansriramakrishna) #12

is that we need internet for users

(Mohansriramakrishna) #13

so you are telling that internet is only for installation right

(cpradio) #14

Users will just need to be able to access the server, local intranet is fine so long as you can specify a DNS entry internally to it, as Discourse is not thrilled with using an IP address for access.

(Mohansriramakrishna) #15

ok i’ll try it thank you

(Mohansriramakrishna) #16

can you give me the installation link

(cpradio) #17

Yup, here you go.
discourse/INSTALL.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub