Can I turn OFF the description of categories in dropdown selection lists?

(Anton) #1

Is there a way to do it for the dropdown lists in the Topic Editor? Thanks.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

No, there is no way to do this and no way is planned, but you might be able to suppress with with a CSS rule.

(cpradio) #3

This seems to work…

.select2-results .category-desc { display: none; }

(Jody Gates) #4

Can this be added in to a hosted version or are you tweaking a master CSS file on your server?

If we can’t turn it off I would at least prefer to be able to use a different Description field for Category lists than the “About” post, or at least have it only take the first sentence from the About post.

(cpradio) #5

You should be able to put it in the customized CSS section in the Admin Area. You may need to add !important after none, like so:

.select2-results .category-desc { display: none !important; }

(Jody Gates) #6

Hmm, I had put that line in there after my previous post (sans !important) but didn’t see a change, adding !important didn’t fix it either. I’ll poke around with Inspect Element to see if I’m missing something.

(Jody Gates) #7

It looks like hiding “title” under class “cat” is what it needs, got to brush up on my css skills now.

(Jody Gates) #8

I figured it out!

.select2-drop .category-desc {display: none;}

It’s .select2-drop, not .select2-results

Thanks for getting me started @cpradio

(Charles Walter) #9

It’s a testament to Discourse’s similar topic logic that I was able to find this topic. I was just writing the same question and glad to see that a solution for this had already been prepared :smile:

With roughly 100 categories, the dropdown had been pretty useless, but I think it is much more usable now without the descriptions.

Thanks!

(Nick Putman) #10

Is there a way to reliably suppress descriptions for specific categories using CSS?