Can keyboard shortcuts use different keys?

• Arrow keys could mirror the actions of j/k, so instead of scrolling up and down, arrow keys could navigate up and down through topics and posts.
  • The Enter key could act as r (reply) when already on a topic with a post selected - currently it reloads the page, as it opens the topic in which you’re already in.

I think arrow keys + enter would be so much powerful than it is today with these two changes.

1 Like

Yes, exactly! Thank you! Keyboard shortcuts need to cover the entirety of Discourse.

1 Like

Yes! For example, this checkbox and the “options” button to the left cannot be selected using your keyboard.

1 Like

/ or Ctrl+Alt+f Open search

Tab once for the checkbox, twice for the options link.

Trigger a click with Space

All using the standard navigation users with impaired vision have used for decades.

6 Likes

Are you not able to give us the option of simpler keyboard navigation or allow us to change the keyboard shortcuts?

Let us know if there is a keyboard shortcut you are missing!

1 Like

I don’t think there are many keyboard shortcuts that are missing. I think the problem lies in the fact that they aren’t customizable. There isn’t a simplified version for the average user.

1 Like

Keyboard shortcuts are something we use every day, command + c and command + v or control + c and control + v being the most known, Discourse currently has integrated shortcuts that can not be per-user-customised however I would love to see a feature in preferences where you could edit the shortcuts to fit your needs or globally issue certain keyboard shortcuts for all forum users.

Totally doable as a theme-component. Whoever needs it can commission it in the #marketplace.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t have the money to do so right now. How much do you think it’d cost? :slightly_frowning_face:

Sorry, but I don’t have the money either. If any individual were to step up and offer to commission it, that would be a belated Christmas miracle! :heart: