Can We Installation Discourse on Own Web Hosting (iPage, HostGator, Bluehost etc)

(Siraj Mahmood) #1

Hello Guys,

My name is Siraj, I’m running educational based tech blog on WordPress. Now I want to start my own forum to engage my readers and website users. So I found the name of discourse software for forums and after see this pricing, I’m little bit confuse. Because there monthly prices are too high and not set in out budget. So under pricing we found one time fee pacakge, which looks like pretty good but I’m slightly confused that, what package your are offering in one time fee/what things are includes in one time fee $99. Is this package includes forum software for single site or unlimited sites, life time updates or not, unlimited staff members allow or not.
Is discourse need shared hosting or VPN servers for forum installation?
One time package software can be use another domains?
Please answer these following queries as soon as possible.
Thank You!

(AstonJ) #2

Discourse is free if you install it yourself - all you need is somewhere to host it:

discourse/INSTALL.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Siraj Mahmood) #3

Okay, Can you please tell me, which hosting plan (Shared, VPN, Dedicated) will be good to install or run initial forum community. Thank You.

(Simon Cossar) #4

Probably the easiest way to get started is by following this guide. It is linked to by the link @AstonJ provided. It recommends that you use a 1 GB RAM server from DigitalOcean. The only problem with that is that it costs $10 a month. I think there are some cheaper options. If you search for ‘hostiing’ on this forum you will see a few topics about it.

discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Siraj Mahmood) #5

Thank you @Simon_Cossar for quick reply.
Can you please suggest me some cheaper hosting, which should be able to run discourse in better performance.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #6

You can’t host Discourse on Shared Hosts. You need a full root access and 1GB ram.

The cheapest way is using a VPS. There are many providers, but people usually go with Digital Ocean or Vultr.

(Siraj Mahmood) #7

Thank you @Falco for your quick reply.
Can you please tell me, how we can install discourse on VPS server any video guide for better understanding.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #8

The guide that @Simon_Cossar and @AstonJ linked is very good! :thumbsup:

Most of the guide is CTRL+C CTRL+V.

The e-mail part is a bit worst, but if you find yourself stuck we can help you here.

(Siraj Mahmood) #9

Hi @Falco
I already saw this text guide… I need any video guide step by step…

I’m not aware of any modern video guides for installing Discourse.

However, 99.9% of the Discourse installation procedure is copying and pasting 9 lines:

sudo -s
wget -qO- https://get.docker.com/ | sh
mkdir /var/discourse
git clone https://github.com/discourse/discourse_docker.git /var/discourse
cd /var/discourse
cp samples/standalone.yml containers/app.yml
nano containers/app.yml
# Take a break here to configure Discourse
./launcher bootstrap app
./launcher start app

Simply take that command and run it line-by-line. You’ll have Discourse up and running in no time.

If you want, you can video yourself doing this for future use.

(Actually, I should make an install shell script. BRB, new project!)

The $99 service you’ve seen is a fully guided install. Someone from Discourse comes and does it all for you. You just have to sit back and relax while they do all the hard work.

It comes will all the benefits of you installing Discourse yourself (changeable domain name, unlimited everything).

(Siraj Mahmood) #11

Thank You @KazWolfe
Can you please tell me in $99, they will only install discourse on my provided VPS server. They will give us complete video tutorial of installation or not for future with-in $99.

They’ll just install it and leave you be. I’m sure if you asked nicely, they’ll make a video for you, too.

However, if your goal is to learn how to install Discourse, I’d advise against using a video or the install service. The guide is designed to be extremely easy to follow. Do it once and you’ll remember how to do it forever.

In fact, you might be able to find someone willing to hold your hand through the install process, meaning they’ll guide you in real time. I’m sure someone here is willing to help.

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #13

where should i paste these 9 line to install discourse?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #14

Please don’t paste those 9 lines anywhere, they’re out of date! Please see the (very detailed) setup guide that has been linked above. It has all the details you need (and the lines to copy):

discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #15

brother i have my own cpanel server so kindly let me know about it. How can i install on it?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #16

As mentioned above:

Unless you own the entire server and installed CPanel yourself, you need something else to install Discourse on.

(Muhammad Tassawarr) #17

what do i need further for it?

(Bartusevicius Mindaugas) #18

So no anser in community about instalation on runing server like direct admin cpanel cwp or ather … :frowning: sad so greit system but instalation is terible …

(Michael Howell) #19
  • It’s not going to work on shared PHP hosting. It’s a Ruby on Rails app.
  • The only officially-supported method to get Discourse running is with a server or VPS with root access.
  • There is an unofficial Bitnami package. CDCK doesn’t support it, but it’s at 1.9.1, which is the latest stable version of Discourse. They’ve historically lagged a bit, though.
  • I’m sure #marketplace has people willing to build packages for other things.

(Michael Brown) #20

You can find my mini-rant about cpanel here:

With the simplicity of setting up an additional VM or $10 cloud server, we strongly recommend against cohabitating on a cpanel server, but you’re welcome to try :slight_smile: