Cannot add email address to system user

(Christoph) #1

By default, the system user has no_mailas it’s email address. I would like to change this to a real email address to make sure if users PM system, someone receives those messages.

So I impersonated system and went to user preferences to change the email address. After I entered the new email address, it stated something like “Sending confirmation email to this address”. However, from the email log (and from Sparkpost’s error log) I can see that it actually tried to send those emails to no_mail. Shouldn’t it be sent to the new email address? At least it is saying that.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

@system is an admin account, so email changes require verifying both old and new email - thus the attempted mail to no_mail. The typical solution would be to remove admin rights, change email and confirm, then add admin rights, but I don’t know if that’s possible for the system user.

(Christoph) #3

Unfortunately, there is no button to revoke the admin rights for system:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Yeah, I wasn’t sure that would work. It looks as though this question has come up before, but there doesn’t seem to be a solution for adding an email. The guidance seems to be to set the site_contact_username to something else so users who reply to auto-PMs go to that user.