Cannot delete a category because of "about category" topic

(Kuba Orlik) #1

I’m trying to delete an old category, but Discourse says it cannot do that, because there is one topic left in it. The only topic in this category is the “About this category” topic and I cannot delete it nor reassign it… What’s the proper approach here?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Sounds like something else is amiss, not sure. Are you on latest Discourse?

(Mittineague) #3

My guess is it involves “Uncategorized”.

(Kuba Orlik) #4

I’m on v2.0.0.beta5 +41. Maybe it’s caused by us using the Polish language as default? The topic isn’t called “About {} category”, but “O kategorii {}”

What do you mean? I’m not trying to delete the “Uncategorized” category, just to make it clear :slight_smile:

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

Disable uncategorized in site settings and create a new category (you can name it uncategorized if you want) with the configuration you desire.

People are often confused by uncategorized because it looks like a category but isn’t. I think it should be disabled by default. A selectable default category could serve the same purpose of saving users from having to choose a category without the confusion caused by uncategorized.

(Mittineague) #6

It was only a guess based on the countless number of times I’ve seen posts here from members having problems working with it.

So far, all I know is that it is “an old category”. I don’t know if this is an “out-of-the-box, seed” category, public or private etc. Can you give more details and reproducible steps as best as you can recollect regarding the category’s history from creation to where you’re at now?

(Kuba Orlik) #7

The category is not one of the out-of-the-box ones. It’s visibility is set only to one specific group of users. It was created about a month or so ago, near the time when the forum was established. There used to be around 10 topics in them, and I’ve closed/archived some of them.

(Mittineague) #8

That is odd. If you closed / archived ~10 topics that is not the same as deleting them or moving them to a different category and I would think the category delete message would be “~10 topics left” not “1 topic left”.

Maybe try moving the topics out of the old category into Uncategorized?

(Daniela) #9

2 posts were split to a new topic: Unable to delete category if one or more topics are transformed into PM