"Cannot load app" for a meta topic

(Uwe Keim) #1

I’ve started a Google search for “discourse advertising plugin”.

The first SERP entry points to:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/advertising-plugin-for-discourse-serve-ads-on-your-discourse-forum-official-endorsed/33734

When clicking it, it shows me this page:

This is strange to me, since I am actually currently asking my question here on the very same forum.

My question:

Is there any reason, I’m seeing the “Cannot loap app” message?

Discourse won't load after rebuild
Firefox experiences Network Protocol Violation on Discourse based Websites

I’m guessing it is related to the issue mentioned here

and

@uwe_keim
This page
https://meta.discourse.org/t/advertising-plugin-for-discourse-serve-ads-on-your-discourse-forum-official-endorsed/33734
loads perfectly for me.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Testing this link https://meta.discourse.org/t/advertising-plugin-for-discourse-serve-ads-on-your-discourse-forum-official-endorsed/33734

Looks like some dupe of the issue @supermathie reported

(Uwe Keim) #5

In my tests, the link works when coming from meta. It does show the above “Cannot load app” when not coming from meta (e.g. when I directly paste the URL in the address bar).

Maybe some kind of referer issue?

(Bhanu Sharma) #6

And I’m Getting a Cannot Load app Here!

(Lukas Winkler) #7

@itsbhanusharma, @uwe_keim

Can you check if disabling adblock plus or a similar addon (completly in about:addons) fixes the issue for you?

See also:

(Uwe Keim) #8

Awesome! That did the trick. Thanks a lot!

(Arnold Schrijver) #9

I am also seeing this issue from Android / Firefox and Ubuntu / Firefox both with Privacy Badger version 2018.3.21 installed. However the privacy badger for some reason is inactive, nothing to switch off. I sporadically get the ‘Cannot load app’ message, but not consistently. In android and community.humanetech.com reloading the page is enough. In the error I got just now on Ubuntu meta.discourse.org I had to open a new tab, as reloading didn’t work.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Did you report this to the privacy badger issue tracker?

Not seeing any issues there: Issues · EFForg/privacybadger · GitHub

I can see this which may be relevant Breaks ServiceWorkers in Firefox · Issue #1144 · EFForg/privacybadger · GitHub

(Arnold Schrijver) #11

Sorry Sam, your response slipped from my radar, until now. Thanks a lot for your response!
I have just created a GH issue for this:

(Arnold Schrijver) #12

BTW I just noticed that currently Privacy Badger does nothing when opening in new tab… I get the empty window, not tracker detection, unless restarting the browser completely (I was about to file a feature request topic for Discourse becoming a true zero-tracker application). Will update GH issue.

(Arnold Schrijver) #13

There have been responses to the Privacy Badger GH issue #1953 and the issue is reproducable in FF without PB:

@ghostwords commented on Github:

So I am not sure Privacy Badger is responsible for your problem (since I can reproduce without Privacy Badger) but something weird is going on here (Privacy Badger’s popup is in the wrong state sometimes).

(Jeff Atwood) #14

It says

that implies the problem may be on their end? Remember we are a javascript application, not a traditional 1996 plain vanilla HTML+CSS website, so the approach is rather different.

(Arnold Schrijver) #15

Thanks @codinghorror! As I understand it part of the problem is on Discourse + Firefox end (triggering the error message page), but apart from that sometimes an empty PB menu appears, which is a the other end :slight_smile:

I had the same problem for my site and also got it for this page here.

It has something to do with Privacy badger, but it can be difficult to reproduce.
For my site, it happened in the following situation:

1. Privacy badger enabled, domain of my site was whitelisted explicitly under “Whitelisted domains”.
  2. When going to the site via a Google search result click.
  3. Force HTTPS enabled. (Not sure if this matters.)
  4. Firefox as browser

The problem didn’t occur when going to the site directly, only when going to it via Google Search result click. A refresh on the page didn’t work, unless the browser was restarted.
Also, HTTP request headers didn’t seem to matter (such as removing referrer).

The problem went away when I removed the whitelist of my site from Privacy Badger. But I also got it on this page here, not sure why exactly.

Seems like some kind of a strange bug in Privacy Badger.

(Sam Saffron) #17

Do you mind posting this at?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #18

22 posts were split to a new topic: Discourse won’t load after rebuild

(Gerhard Schlager) #19

I’m seeing this message from time to time when I’m in a different network than the last time I used the Discourse app on my Android phone. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce it all the time and it always works on reload.

(Arnold Schrijver) #20

Currently I sometimes see a different error when pasting a meta discourse URL in an existing open tab on my Firefox browser (v60.0 now, on Ubuntu):

Corrupted Content Error

The site at https://meta.discourse.org/t/what-is-a-wiki-post-and-how-can-i-make-one/21622 has experienced a network protocol violation that cannot be repaired.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because an error in the data transmission was detected.

Opening a new tab and pasting the URL in there has no problem loading the page.