Cannot Log in / Create New Account on Samsung Galaxy S3

I tried with 3 different Samsung Galaxy S3s. (Android 4.3, which is latest for S3.)

Cannot Log in:

• Unknown error occurrs.
    (Tried at some Discourse websites and here meta.discourse.org also.)

Cannot Create New Account:

• It seems kind of clicking error? Login modal got away easily.
  • Can’t click some buttons & fields properly to proceed.
  • Can’t scroll properly.
  • But here on meta.discourse.org… I succeeded to create a new account ‘sometimes’. (but failed to log in)

I tried on iPhone 4S, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, LG Optimus G pro, and Google Nexus 7.

Only Galaxy S3 was the problem.

I tried again with Chrome mobile on Samsung Galaxy S3, it worked. I could log in.

But other browsers… default one and others… not working.

ps.

My country uses Chrome not that much. and there are many people using S3. I am worrying about this.

Is it not a bug? Then sorry. Maybe just Samsung’s fault…? :dizzy_face:

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Looks like some problem with the custom browser Samsung uses on that model? What’s the version number of it. I’ve heard of very ancient versions of WebKit being used.

They said: Webkit 534.

http://mobilewebtest.eu/galaxys3

http://www.quirksmode.org/mobilebrowsers/

Is it the information you needed?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Based on this, looks like WebKit version 534 is from about 2011-2012 or so? Very, very old.

Yes, it is old. :older_man:

So… do you think it can be solved?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Unfortunately no; they’ll need to either update Android or update to Chrome. Discourse only supports Android 4.1+. Galaxy S3 launched as an Android 4.0 device, so it’d need to be updated.

But the Android 4.3 is currently installed on those Galaxy S3s.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yeah, I guess the issue is the default Samsung “browser” is based on an ancient 2012 version of WebKit. We only support Chrome as the default Android browser.

I see. (I’d better ask this problem to Samsung guys in smartphone dept.)

Thank you for the answers anyway!