Cannot re-format my answer, it says content looks very similar to previous one

(Anton) #1

Please see my unformatted answer to other topic:

I wanted to re-format it but I can’t because of that “content similarity” feature.

How can we solve this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Hmm, not sure exactly what is going on here, @eviltrout ?

(Anton) #3

P.S. I wanted to make it a correct list, not all text mixed up in one paragraph.

(Nicholas Smith) #4

It’s pretty common to go back and edit a typo or capitalization shortly after posting a topic and re-reading it. What’s the purpose of this feature? Is it to prevent some DoS attacks? I’m hoping it can be solved in some way that will allow editing content, even if it’s just to change a few letter.

(Julien Gourdon) #5

Maybe we could imagine that the more time passes by, the more characters have to be changed for the edit to be valid?
Meaning that before 5 minutes you can edit typos, before half an hour you can change words, and after a few days you have to make major edits for the edit to be valid?

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I was not able to repro this:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/issues/87

Can you give me a more consistent repro case on http://try.discourse.org please?

(Anton) #7

Btw, does try.discource have the latest code from github?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yes, try is always the latest code by definition.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

We did fix the situation where editing case of a post only would cause this, e.g. editing

You so crazy!

to

You so Crazy!

Would be rejected as too similar. But not any more.

There may be other edge cases (whitespace?) but that seemed to be the one that people ran into the most by far. Not closing this just in case we find more.

(Brentley Jones) #10

Yes, whitespace is another one. I just hit this one. Trying to add a space so something is no longer considered part of a code/quote block.

(Anton) #11

Whitespace - YES, especially newlines.
Personally I would also add commas, dots ect - anything related to text formatting and positioning.

(Anton) #12

Just wanted to say that I’ve just ran into this problem again, when I wanted to newline an image url to have it oneboxed, but Discourse didn’t allow me to.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Whitespace only edits will be blocked as too similar. This is by design at the moment.

(Jeff Atwood) #16