Can't get email to work, have some issues getting started

email

(Allard Schipper) #1

(Note: I posted this with the email troubleshooting guide and Jeff Attwood suggested I post this here).

I just got Discourse installed on a Mac. First hurdle I cannot figure out is that I am not getting emails to verify new accounts. I configured smtp in discourse.conf. I can’t find app.yml though or a launcher. Probably a complete beginner’s problem (have no real experience with RoR or Ruby). Thanks for any help!

(cpradio) #2

Did you use a Docker install guide or are you installing it for Development purposes? As that makes a major difference in how you interact with it.

(Allard Schipper) #3

I followed the instructions from here:

(Arpit Jalan) #4

You may want to look at this:

(Allard Schipper) #5

I get stuck with the ./launcher bit. There is no such file or directory.

(Arpit Jalan) #6

In case of local development environment there is no launcher script.

Simply do this:

cd ~/discourse
rake admin:create

and follow the instructions on screen.

launcher part is only relevant if you used our official 30 minutes install guide, which is not the case here.

(Allard Schipper) #7

Thank you for your help. That got me past the verification. For email I’ll still have to figure some things out. If I have a specific question about it, I’ll post again.

(Alan Tan) #8

For development, use the mailcatcher gem.

(Neil Lalonde) #9

In config/environments/development.rb, email is already configured to use the mailcatcher gem, so you probably just need to follow steps 1-3 in the readme. For some reason I run it with mailcatcher --http-ip 0.0.0.0, but I don’t remember why…