Can't quote on Windows Phone 8.1

(Rikki Tooley) #1

Attempting to quote sections of a reply is interpreted as a click on the post body (screenshot).

99% sure this used to work.

I will check if the same behaviour happens on Windows 8.1, ostensibly they are the same browser

(Sam Saffron) #2

What happens if you just select 1 word?

(Jens Maier) #3

There’s a similar issue on Win 8.1 (not Phone) with IE 11 in metro mode and using touch input:

On Win 8.1, text is selected by tapping a word for an initial selection, then dragging start/end markers to where the selection should begin/end. However, the style/DOM change that displays the quote button cancels the drag event as soon as the selection changes, and this also triggers a bug in IE turning the end drag handle invisible.

Certain buttons are not visible
(Rikki Tooley) #4

@elberet that happens on phone 8.1 too

@Sam after more investigation it seems to only happen with certain posts, I think it might have something to do with the fading highlight class? I can only reproduce reliably when opening a thread via an ‘x replied to your post’ notification

(Sam Saffron) #5

We are going to need a hand with this bug, care to try a fix ?

(Jens Maier) #6

I wouldn’t even know where to start.
Frontend stuff isn’t my forte in the first place, and Ember is positively terrifying to learn.

(Rikki Tooley) #7

I’ll have a go. I’m moving house at the moment and I don’t think there’s an easy way to debug JS in Store apps so I may be a while… hopefully both issues are reproducible on desktop mode IE.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Is this still a problem with the latest Windows Phone update? Which I understand has an updated browser too?

(Jens Maier) #9

I’ll let you know as soon as the update trickles down to my phone… :slight_smile:

(Dave Shaw) #10

I’m running the Lumia Cyan update and this still seems to a problem.

I can select one word OK, but after that it gets a bit random selecting whole lines of words, and the end “handle” of the select is still missing.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Well, I can repro this in touchscreen IE11 browser mode on Surface Pro 3.

Perhaps something you can look at, @techAPJ as I believe you also have a Surface Pro. :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #12

No repro of the actual issue here on the Nokia 830, but I did repro an issue where it was impossible to select stuff for quoting and fixed that:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/9e16e031988e27017c5b0e45228dc7db7b2e7e43

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Hmm I tested on IE11 touch and selection is still a little weird there.

(It used to constantly deselect, so you’d highlight text and in the middle of highlighting, it would stop so you’d end up with half the stuff selected that you wanted.)

It’s too bad Windows Phone IE is so quirky, even in latest version.

(Sam Saffron) #14

The reason for all the pain is that we are trying to figure out where the caret is, I may be able to fix this completely by cloning the text and measuring offscreen

(Sam Saffron) #15

I am closing this now, if IE11 touch quoting is playing up we should open a new topic.

(Sam Saffron) #16