Okay, so Real Names are on by default, if the admin for whatever reason turns them off, users (nor staff) have the ability to remove them.
The worst part still, is the Real Name is still getting used in various locations (mostly emails – I’m not 100% sure where, as I turn off most notifications).
Here is my repro on my local instance:
- Ensure “enable names” is enabled.
- Your preferences will have an editable Name field
- Admin User Page does not show your Full Name (even with the option enabled)
- Disable the “enable names” setting
- Perform a hard refresh
- Visit your Preferences, the Name field is completely removed
- Admin User Page still has no Full Name field (although your full name is still being stored)
- Re-enable the “enable names” and perform step #2 again (after a hard refresh), you’ll see your name is still there.
During our import process, I believe the “Real Name” got set for a few of our accounts, and since we disabled the feature, we have no way of removing our “Real Names”. Sure we can have the admin re-enable the feature, but until the feature is disabled again, it would show full names everywhere.
Is there a reason we hide this field on the Preferences page when it isn’t being used? What is the harm of letting people constantly change it?
Would a PR that allows this field to be edited (even if the setting is disabled) be permitted?