Categories no longer showing counts - a bug?

(Nicholas Smith) #1

The “New” category tab isn’t showing a count, but when I click on “New” I see there are topics listed. Is this a bug?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

Thank you for posting this and reminding me that I’ve been seeing this for over a month now. The counts only seem to update if the page is F5 refreshed, never dynamically when the app detects new/updated topics.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Weird, I see a new count right now – looks OK to me?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #4

On initial page load and after an F5 refresh, they look fine. But if I leave the page open all day (which I tend to do at work) and I get the blue “new topics” bar, the counts are never added/updated.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Sounds like a regression, will have a look

(Nicholas Smith) #6

It seems to be intermittent unless you guys have deployed some change, I’m seeing the count show up today. But could not get it to yesterday (even ctrl+refresh and restarting the browser). This was on Win 7 Firefox 25.0

(Bill Ayakatubby) #7

This is still happening for me in Ffx 25 (release). Please pardon the quality:

As you can see, I have the blue new/unread bar but no counts next to “New” or “Unread.” After clicking the bar, it’s clear that there’s one of each.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #8

I’ve been seeing this for a while too (latest Chrome on OSX), but assumed it was an intentional change.

(Nicholas Smith) #9

This just happened again.

I’m not sure if this is the culprit, but I visited the “New” tab earlier when the count showed up. Then I left the site for a while and came back, and now I think “New” shows the same content but no count. Is the count only “New” messages that haven’t been displayed in the index previously?

(Nicholas Smith) #10

And it’s cleared up again. So weird. Does the count get applied to the HTML server side and sent across or is it pulled through a separate request and applied through javascript? Just wondering if I could use firebug to watch for network issues or anything when it breaks?

(Nicholas Smith) #11

And more weirdness…

(Nicholas Smith) #12

Heads up, hasn’t happend in a while but is happening again today for me.

(Luke Larris) #13

Do you have any addons installed in Firefox?

(Nicholas Smith) #14

AdBlock Plus 2.4. Running Firefox version 25.0 on Windows 7.

(Budh Ram Gurung) #15

@Nicholas I just took the latest build. I am able to see the categories count.
However, I tested it in Firefox 25.0 on Ubuntu 12.04LTS.

(Nicholas Smith) #16

Still happening this morning. Like I said it’s intermittent, and other users with different browsers have reported the same issue (see earlier posts above).

I disabled my only add-on (AdBlock Plus), doesn’t seem to make a difference. You can see the two screenshots below, the “New” and “Unread” screens both have posts, but a number doesn’t appear in the header.

Seems to misbehave more reliably when I close the browser for a long time (such as shut down overnight, come back in the morning). Then it will just start working and be fine for a while.

(Nicholas Smith) #17

It seems like when I’m off the site for a while (shutdown browser overnight, come back the next day) the counts in the category bar don’t appear. That’s usually when I notice it. I don’t know if it’s due to some server-side cache expiring and maybe not repopulating on first hit? I wish I could reliably reproduce it but once it’s working it seems to be fine for a while.

Also watching in the firefox debugger, it looks like those counts are updated by a post to the message bus “poll”. I’ll watch next time it’s not working for those and see if they’re firing and if anything is coming back.

(Nicholas Smith) #18

Maybe unrelated but wanted to mention, I’m seeing “Unread” populate a count (1) or (2) but when I click on that, it shows no content and the count goes away. Is that just people posting and then deleting?

(Sam Saffron) #19

I deployed a bunch of fixes to the messaging bus, let me know how it goes.

(Nicholas Smith) #20

No problems this morning but I’ll report back if I see it happen.