Categories not showing up as Parent Category

(Grif Peterson) #1

We have 9 categories in our Discourse community here, but when I create a new category to be a subcategory, only 7 of the 9 categories show in the drop-down list called ‘parent category’. All categories have posts in them and equal security rights, so I’m not sure why 2 categories aren’t showing up. Anything that could be preventing this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

A parent category must be a top level category, we don’t allow sub-sub-categories.

(Dave McClure) #3

FWIW, I only see 8 top level categories at that link, not 9.

(Grif Peterson) #4

Thanks for quick replies.

@sam, I was only including top level categories, I understand there are no sub-subs
@mcwumbly, I was including an admin-only category and I’m sorry to say you don’t have admin privileges :slight_smile:

any other thoughts? @kamcc?

(Dave McClure) #5

which two categories don’t show up as options for parent category?

(Sam Saffron) #6

This may be a silly suggestion, but did you reload the page after creating new categories?

(Grif Peterson) #7

@sam never hurts to ask but they’ve been there for a few days
@mcwumbly ‘introduce yourself’ and ‘this week in LCL’ don’t show up, however strangely enough ‘this week in LCL’ now does show up while ‘introduce yourself’ still does not. So that solves the problem from a practical perspective but still curious why certain top level categories wouldn’t show up and still not sure what I would do if I wanted to create a sub-category for ‘introduce yourself’

(Sam Saffron) #8

Can you give me admin so I can have a look? Profile - sam - Discuss-Learn

(Dave McClure) #9

On the Category page, its notable that “Introduce Yourself” does not have a description, like all the other categories do…

And if you click this topic, which shows up on the category page as being under the “Introduce Yourself” category, it doesn’t show the category badge in the topic…

Did you perhaps change the name of “uncategorized” to “introduce yourself”?

And perhaps you have the “suppress the badge for the ‘uncategorized’ category” site setting turned on? (which it is by default, I believe).

(Grif Peterson) #10

Good point @mcwumbly, thought I unclicked the ‘suppress the badge for uncategorized’ and the problem remains. Perhaps it does stem from this category being the original uncategorized category, though not sure of how to work around it at this point.

@sam I granted your admin. Sorry for the delay on my end…we are on opposite sides of the world.

(Sam Saffron) #11

@Grif

I can see the bug.

Uncategorized is being stripped from the categories that can be parents. We will get it fixed.

I also noticed you are on a fairly old version of Discourse, any chance you can upgrade to discourse docker, it makes staying up to date way easier as you have a web UI for updating.

(Jeff Atwood) #12