Category custom ordering

(Justin Haglund) #1

I see the wrench icon at /categories to modify the order of the categories. However, this does not seem to impact the dropdown menus at All Categories> and the hamburger. I assume these are probably ordered by number of posts, but I would prefer to have them respect custom ordering (uncategorized is currently second in the list above other important categories). Additionally, I cannot for the life of me find a way to order the subcategories. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

(Sam Saffron) #2

Yeah … I consider this sort of a bug, recategorizing

@codinghorror ?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I’ve answered this elsewhere many times, I guess I’ll answer again here too because I LOVE TYPING

There are two category orders

1. Browsing
  2. Creating

In case #1, it should respect custom orders. In case #2, it should respect frequency (number of topics in the category) only. So which one are you doing, where?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I disagree … it should be configurable, if people want one ordering everywhere, they are entitled to it.

Also:

However, this does not seem to impact the dropdown menus at All Categories> and the hamburger.

Those are for browsing.

(Monica Semergiu) #5

Yeah, I’m having the same problem. I tried to create a custom order for forums and subforums and can’t figure out how do it…

(Kevin Balla) #6

Hi all - wanted to check in on the latest status here. Is category ordering on the roadmap any time soon? It feels strange to me when my forum has the least important sections up top and the most important sections down below

Would love to create my own fixed category ordering

(Sam Saffron) #7

This has been implemented for a very very long time.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

There is now an admin setting to determine whether categories are artificially ordered or naturally ordered. Be sure you have that set to taste.

(Jeff Atwood) #10