Category & Sub-category Relation

(Ray ) #1

I had my gt4stinger.com forum setup with some parent categories which contain sub-categories.

I was playing around with functionality and user experience and thought that perhaps 1 level hierarchy, using categories, is perhaps the best way so I decided to remove all parent categories that had sub-categories and it looks like I’ve orphaned all of the sub-categories since it doesn’t show in the category section.

Here you can see I have 7 current parent categories and I [naively] expected that by deleting a parent category, the sub-category would automatically assume a parent category.
http://gt4stinger.com/categories

Is this a bug? Though it looks like there wasn’t a protocol for this type of situation yet? Thank you in advance Discourse team. I’m thoroughly enjoying the Discourse experience thus far!

Discourse Observations fr a Programmer & Auto Enthusiast
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I don’t know if we’ve run into this yet. But yeah, we should probably prevent deletion of the parent category if there are still children categories @eviltrout, right?

(Ray ) #3

Or perhaps have the option for the sub-category(s) to assume parent category(s) instead? Because in my case, I had wanted all of my sub-categories to assume parent category after I had deleted the parent category container they were in. I did not want any of my sub-categories to be deleted because I wrote many.

What do you guys think?

PS: You guys were not kidding that this stuff is fast. There is barely any latency differentiation when I use Discourse on my new Mac desktop vs. my little bro’s 7 year old Toshiba laptop. Great choice with Ember.JS!

(Kevin P. Fleming) #4

I believe you mean that orphaned sub-categories would be promoted to parent categories, right? That could be useful, but would have to be optional, in case the admin really did intend to remove the parent and all its sub-categories.

(Ray ) #5

Yes, that’s right @kpfleming. Any update @codinghorror and @eviltrout?

(Ray ) #6

In “All Categories” you can see that I have more than 7 oprphaned/subcategories

But in “Categories” section, you only see 7

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I do recommend not having category titles that long. We should probably provide better feedback about this, or start truncating in certain areas.

(Ray ) #8

@codinghorror – noted :smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #9