Category watch preferences still not honored on recategorization

(Tobias Eigen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Category watch preferences not honored on recategorization:

This doesn’t seem to be working on my site unless I misunderstand it - I just created an announcement that should have been emailed out to everyone watching the “announcements” category. I accidentally put it in the wrong category, then recategorized it immediately… within 10 seconds. It did not go out to everyone. :frowning:

Now the replies are going out by those who are logging in (or who have turned on mailing list mode), and everyone is getting the replies but not the original announcement!

It seems to me that recategorization within the ninja edit window especially should be possible.

How to get notification of all new topics of a category?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

I think if you make that mistake in the future, you should delete the topic and recreate it.

There is no guarantee whatsoever during the edit grace period about recategorization.

(Tobias Eigen) #3

So I have to tell 70 people to keep this in mind? That seems unreasonable to me.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

No, only yourself – if you post an admin notice in the wrong admin
announcements category, copy to clipboard, delete the mistake, then create
the topic in the correct category by pasting in the content.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

No, actually we all use this particular category to share announcements to all staff in our organization. so all 70+ of us might do this. It’s an easy mistake to make and it happens all the time.

It took me a while to track this down as one of the causes of emails not going out.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Oh, I see, I thought it was a staff only category.

(Collin Donahue Oponski) #7

Is this the official response? Recategorization does not trigger email notifications for those who are watching a category?

When our forum members create a topic about a bug, we are trying to recategorize those topics into a Technical Issues category, so that the dev team can receive email notifications and take ownership of these topics, and the other moderators can trust that they will be handled. I suppose we could always redirect to a new topic in the Technical Issues category, and close the original. Is that the best solution?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

This is an issue with

• self-editing a post
  • within the grace period
  • during which the category was changed

If you edit the post during the grace period, it will not work, since it is not picked up as an actual change.

The grace period for editing defaults to 5 minutes.