Change /categories to some other text

(Auryn Macmillan) #1

As part of the branding for my discourse site (daohub.org), I’d like to call “categories” something different, in my case “hubs”. Is there a simple way do do this? If so, where/how? If not, could someone point me in the right direction of the places I might need to modify code?

This is my first time using discourse, so be gentle.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Admin, Customize, Text lets you change literally every single line of text that appears anywhere in Discourse. Have at it :wink:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #3

But that doesn’t change the URL…I don’t believe it is possible to modify the URL structure like you can the text on the site.

(Mittineague) #4

Technically the URL in a browsers address bar isn’t text in Discourse is it?

I didn’t get that the OP was interested in changing that, but if the intent is to change the “/c/” to “/h/” then yes, Admin -> Customize will not do that.

Personally I’d rather not tackle changing the routing, but I guess it could be done if it was felt to be important enough.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #5

I wasn’t sure if that is what the OP was interested in, but the title of this topic (with the slash) would lead me to think so. Will need @auryn_macmillan to confirm.

(Auryn Macmillan) #6

The top bar is the more important part, so thanks for clarifying.

The URL is less important, and not really necessary, but it would look cleaner if I could figure it out. If changing it is going to cause me any hassles down the road, it’s probably not worth it.

Thanks for the quick responses too.

(Auryn Macmillan) #7

I had a bit of a look through the text options. Any idea specifically which I should be modifying in this instance?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

You can search for the target word you wish to change, that’d be best.

(Mittineague) #9

I just did a search for “Categor” - to cover both Category and Categories

If I counted correctly there are 51 results.

But that includes files with “categor” in the file name even when “categor” is not in the text.
So it isn’t as bad as it first may seem.

It will take a while to work through them all, but entirely doable.

(Auryn Macmillan) #10

Just got done editing them all, it looks great! Thanks for all the help guys.