Change the domain name or rename my Discourse?

(Hung V Pham) #35

discourse remap talk.foo.com talk.bar.com This command will update the database, right?

(Mitchell Krog) #36

Yes indeed it will and does

(Hung V Pham) #37

What does the command rake posts:rebake do? It also will update the database?

(Mitchell Krog) #38

I think so perhaps @codinghorror can elaborate on that.

(Felix Freiberger) #39

Rebaking will convert the raw markdown of all posts to HTML again. It should be run when you have manually changed the markdown and want the changes to appear :slight_smile:

(Mitchell Krog) #40

Thanks for explanation @fefrei

Do I need to rebuild when my domain name changes?
(Edison) #41

discourse remap talk.foo.com talk.bar.com

THIS TASK WILL REWRITE DATA, ARE YOU SURE (type YES)
So type YES and check Enter button?

(Jay Pfaffman) #42

Yes. You want it to make the change as you describe.

You should make a backup first in car something good wrong.

(phb) #43

I made changes in Admin settings with new website name. and mails are sending with new name but it is saying “sent through old website name”

will update after changes.

(Jay Pfaffman) #44

Hey, @codinghorror. Perhaps add here that you can re-run discourse-setup rather than editing app.yml.

Another complication that isn’t handled (and I don’t have a simple, clean solution for off-hand) is that if you change https://xxx.com to https://yyy.com, you get the ugly warning about the site not being the right one.

(Jeff Atwood) #45

Sure I made it a wiki so edit away!

(phb) #46

I wanted to know what is the procedure for dual container install with separate container for Data and Web.

My installation is on dual container.

(Matt Palmer) #47

Edit the web container’s .yml for DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME and rebuild that container. Everything else is the same.

(phb) #48

Thank you @mpalmer

I completed the renaming of my website successfully using the procedures explained here.

after entering into containers, I did not know how to come out of it.

but issued Exit command. it worked. :grinning:

Thank you guys.

It is time to change SSL. but it is not complaining so far using SSL certificate of the old site itself ?.

I am unable to send mails from Admin/Email. I changed postmaster @ oldsite dot com also to new postmaster @ newsite dot com. may be need to update password for mailgun ?

Did it also. now mails are working.

But my original purpose of renaming of website was to avoid mails going to spam folder. this renaming did not solve it. Found website name is not the problem.

Need to look at something else on this.

Discourse emails are marked as spam on GMail
(Tuan Do) #53

The highlight.js file still inside “localhost” folder somehow even we changed the domain from “localhost” to “abc.example.com”. The Url pointed to “/abc.example.com/highlight.js” but the js file is inside localhost folder so it can not be found and we can’t have highlight on posts. Please help me I took so many times to figure out this issue.

(Nichalas Petranek) #54

My forum recently changed the domain name and we’ve encountered a problem. We noticed that when emails were being sent out, they were still referencing the old domain. I took a look at the templates and found that the problem is occurring with the base URL. as a temporary fix to what our user base would most commonly utilise the emails for, I simply changed a few (like 4-5 of them, not all of them) of the templates to substitute the base url for the current domain.

More recently though, we added an admin to our forum. The email that was generated linked to the old domain and I suspect it is the same issue. The problem with this one is I cant find the email for confirming an admin addition in the email templates. In any sense, how do I go about changing the base url to the current domain from the console, since I know thats whats going to solve the problems we’ve encountered?

(Kane York) #55

This should be the DISCOURSE_DOMAIN_NAME in your app.yml.

(Nichalas Petranek) #56

i went into the app.yml and didnt find that string, even after performing a search. there is a DISCOURSE_HOSTNAME string in the file, however that already contains the correct domain name. are there any other places to look? or any other strings it would be stored under?

(Jay Pfaffman) #57

Site setting : notification email

(Nichalas Petranek) #58

That’s also already correct