Change the URL for a hosted discourse forum

(Theyagarajan Sundaramoorthy) #1

Hi Everyone,

We recently moved to discourse and for testing purpose, we chose a staging url and now that we are ready, we would like to switch the forum URL to the production one.

How do i go about that? I cant seem to find an option in the UI. What’s the fastest way to get this done

0 Likes

(Arpit Jalan) #2

See:

0 Likes

(Theyagarajan Sundaramoorthy) #3

How do i do this for a discourse hosted forum?

I’m unable to find the domain field in admin/settings.

can you help?

0 Likes

(Theyagarajan Sundaramoorthy) #4

How do we do that for a discourse hosted forum? I’m unable to find the
domain in admin/settings

0 Likes

(Arpit Jalan) #5

I just sent you a PM with details.

0 Likes

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If you are hosting with us, you would need to email us; there is no UI for changing the URL.

0 Likes

(Henrik Lenberg) #7

Is this still the case?

0 Likes

(Sam Saffron) #8

Absolutely, just email team@discourse.org if you need a domain changed.

2 Likes

Domain name changes are now fully self-service. From your admin dashboard ({your_domain}/admin) click “Change Domain Name”. Follow the linked instructions, then provide your new domain and submit. Within 15 minutes your change will take effect.

8 Likes

(Christopher Batchelder) #10

I can see changes from subdomain to subdomain on hosted accounts are automated.

Can I change from e.g. talk.foo.com >> to >> bar.net ?

Or is this unsupported? I ask because I’m trying to do this and it doesn’t seem to be working.

Many thanks,

0 Likes

(Michael Brown) #11

This should work as long as you are using a DNS provider that flattens CNAMEs.

(I’m not 100% sure if the self service tool recognizes this case, if you continue to run into trouble email or message @team)

2 Likes

(Christopher Batchelder) #12

So the answer to my question about hosted accounts with domain at root seems to be well answered here by @codinghorror (I’ll have to decide how much I care :upside_down_face:) :

3 Likes

(Erik Sundell) #13

I just found this Change Domain Name button in the dashboard of my discourse trial.

Then I also found it to function super smoothly :smiley:

4 Likes

(Christopher Batchelder) #14

I decided I cared.

For others considering this, I used DNSimple and it was very very simple. Much easier than I would have expected as a non technical admin. I’d recommend them.

2 Likes