Change user email?

(Sebastian) #1

Is there a way to change users email in the admin part without touching the code?

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Yes. go to https://discourse.example.com/u/username/preferences/email.

(Ryan Nix) #3

Hi @Falco, is there any way to change this if the users got an invalid email to begin with? We’re using the Azure AD oAuth plugin and it seems that upon login, each user was assigned something that isn’t valid. i.e. myshortname@mydomain.northwestern.edu instead of myshortname@northwestern.edu

So our users can’t confirm they are switching email addresses. Hope this makes sense.

Searching for ‘change user email’ gives way too many responses. Moreover, this link does not seem to be available from the UI (was it ever?). Thanks @Falco for the tip!

(Vinoth Kannan) #5

Try like this https://discourse.example.com/u/USERNAME/preferences/email. It should work.

(Andrew Schleifer) #6

The /users URL is not, but the /u one is.

Click avatar → click username → :gear: Preferences

Under Email it will show the current address (after you click the button). Next to that will be a :pencil2: which lets you change it.

I know it should be there, but it’s not.

With a multisite – where the main site is showing the normal behavior, another site does not. The only difference I can see is this User Preferences setting: default email mailing list mode that is checked on the weird site. Might that be the case that this setting prevents editing the user’s email?

Yes, ‘trying like this’ is exactly what I meant by “not in the UI”.

(Martin Vrkljan) #9

Is it possible to reset the email without sending a confirmation to “current” email address? I have a couple of users with invalid email addresses who need to change them, but the confirmation is not coming to a valid address. Any way to force address change?

(Felix Freiberger) #10

This should be the default for non-staff members (only the new address is confirmed).

If your problematic members are staff members, the easiest option is to temporarily revoke their privileges :slight_smile: