Changed Color Scheme, results in crash

(Tom) #1

I’ve just changed 1 color in a new copied color scheme, and suddenly the website changed to this:
Does anyone know how I can fix this? SafeMode doesn’t help. I’ve tried everything, rebuilding the app, deleting browser cache, etc. If anyone knows how to do a hard reset of my css files that’d be great!

EDIT: restoring a backup isn’t an option since my website had some issues and I just magically fixed them, didn’t have time to make a backup yet so restoring to the previous version will put me back to square one with more broken stuff…

EDIT 2: If you want a live preview of what it’s like, go to http://www.devtesting.zone/ will probably stay like this until someone knows how to fix this. (fixed it so the live preview doesn’t exist anymore.

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

Did you change your color scheme from the web interface?

(Tom) #3

Yes I did, changed the color using the color picker and as soon as I closed the color picker this happened.

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Very strange. Indeed http://www.devtesting.zone/safe-mode is broken. Viewing source shows that it’s Discourse 1.9.0.beta8.

Looks like a :bug: to me, changing the category.

(Tom) #5

Alright would there be any temporary solution? Like downgrade to an older version pherhaps?

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

I think there should be a way to switch the theme back off at the rails console, but I don’t know what that would be off hand.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Can you repro this @jomaxro?

(Tom) #8

Since I didn’t have anything valuable on my site yet, I decided to remove everything inside of the /var/discourse/shared/* folder and rebuild the app. This fixed the issue but I’ll just make sure to not touch the color settings anytime soon, just in case. Thanks for the help though.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #9

I have been unable to repro this. To test I completed the following:

1. Installed a new Discourse site on Digital Ocean using the Official Instructions.
  2. Went through admin account registration, skipped setup wizard.
  3. Modified the dark color scheme - no issues.
  4. Enabled the dark theme, then modified the dark scheme - no issues.
  5. Created a new theme and color scheme (based on light), modified new color scheme - no issues.
  6. Enabled the new theme, modified new color scheme - no issues.

@Vespura, did you have any custom CSS, HTML, or JS? Or did you only modify the color scheme? Do you have more specific steps I could try to repro this?

Moved back to #support until we are able to repro.

(Tom) #10

this is how it happened for me, I really don’t want to try it again so not sure if it still happens or if it was just a random unfortunate bug.

1. create a new color scheme (based off light)
  2. create another new color scheme (based off light and rename it.
  3. changed site active color scheme to the one created in step 2.
  4. Change the color of the love color using the color picker.
  5. the site crashed for me.

Like I said I have no idea if this would make it happen again as I really don’t want to experiment witch crashing my site again. I did not have any other modified css, Js or custom plugins whatsoever.
I did modify some other colors as well, also the love color. It all worked fine until I changed the color of the love color a few times in a row.

Hope this helps, if you can’t reproduce it then just forget about it, I must have done something wrong then.

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #11

Just tried those steps and couldn’t reproduce it.

(Tom) #12

Well I must have done something wrong or just a case of bad luck. Thanks for the support though.

(Jeff Atwood) #13