Changes doesn't Save in Forum Admin

Hey Guys, thanks much for the great support thus far. Got Discourse running, everything seems fine from here but when i try making changes as an admin from the admin backend of my forum,most times my website goes blank for a couple of minutes(both frontend and backend) when i attempt making changes from discourse.example…com and the changes i make doesn’t save instead i get errors such as >> an error was encountered while trying to save

When i try viewing error logs i get permission error>>> -bash: /var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log: Permission denied

I would be glad if i can get your valuable suggestions and a fix. Thanks

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Did you follow our official setup guide exactly, step by step? You have a permissions problem.

Yes i did follow the steps, in fact i can do all of those without looking at the documentation. I sure followed everything as told on there.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

How exactly are you trying to view the logs? If I’m reading your screenshot correctly, you’re trying to execute the following command:

/var/discourse/shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log

If you are trying to view the log, that will not likely work. You need to give it a program to open the logs with, like tail or cat or nano.

The resulting command would be (since you already are in the /var/discourse directory you don’t need that in your path - just be sure not to have a / before shared:

tail shared/standalone/log/rails/production.log

Thanks, using the suggested command lines i can now access the error logs. Thanks much @jomaxro