}

img.avatar {
  border-radius: 100px;    
  box-shadow: 1px 3px 3px 0px #999999;
}

before

after

after (alt)

and a slightly less radical proposal with no drop shadows on non-latest avatars:

.topic-list .avatar.latest:not(.single) {
  box-shadow: 2px 4px 8px 2px #aaaaaa
}

Modify Users column to contain only one avatar (latest poster)
Round avatars in topic list?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Shadows eh? But then it just seems like decoration instead of information about last poster.

(Dave McClure) #3

Try it out in your browser for a bit… I think the last option works pretty well. The latest user ‘pops’ off the page… seems like info enough to me.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I was like “no way” at first, then I remembered we made a similar decision at Stack…

Notice some avatars have shadow, some don’t. So yeah, let’s try this!

It also gets us out of the “which color can we use to outline all avatars” business, which is nice.

And @smj border-radius: 50% seemed to work, good idea.

Hmm… now this one I do have a strong opinion of. The highlight is much better than the drop shadow; the drop shadow version looks too much like it’s moving the avatar out of line.

(Mittineague) #6

But it could be more subtle and work, no?

(loopback0 - TDWTF) #7

Yes. This. The blue has a clear meaning. The shadow does not.

But if you make the shadow more subtle, then it’s too subtle to notice. The highlight is at least obvious; it stands out without shifting anything out of line visually.

This looks probably a little too subtle. It is not immediately obvious who the last poster is.

Does this mean you’re going to add deeper drop-shadows to buttons?

Don’t get me wrong, I like how (subtle!) shadows under the avatars look, but don’t bring usability into this. It’s eye candy.

[quote=“loopback0, post:62, topic:27098”]
The blue has a clear meaning. The shadow does not.
[/quote]I don’t think either has clear meaning, frankly. I had to hover to see the tooltip of what it meant.

I don’t agree with this premise, btw. I was just being facetious.

(Sam Saffron) #12

I kind of agree, we worked hard to flatten the base theme and it seems like a step back imo, I find it harder to see, I get the appeal of one less color but really dislike the 3d effect

(Jens Maier) #13

Full ack. The shadow doesn’t work for me.

If the glow is unwanted, I thought a bezel/relief could be an alternative, but after a quick Photoshop session, I like that idea even less than the shadow:

(Dave McClure) #14

Yeah, bezel is a much bigger departure from flat than a shadow. With a shadow, the avatar itself is still flat.

After looking at it for a while now I still prefer the shadow to the blue glow.

I do agree that its less obvious, but I personally don’t have a problem with that.

In fact, if the objections to the shadow are upheld, I might just propose removing all special styling from last poster.

The avatar on the left is the OP. The one on the right is the last poster who is not the OP.

If you want real clarity about the last poster, to go with something like @sam’s minimal design where that is the only avatar.

(Jens Maier) #15

More experimentation – blue-glowy drop shadow:

box-shadow: 3px 1.5px 5px 1px rgba(0,96,255,0.4);

Not terrible but the angle is bad, the bottom one goes over sam’s avatar.

(Jens Maier) #17

Actually, this shadow is smaller and has less spread than the experimental style right now…
This is with the horizontal distance reduced by 1px:

I think the shade isn’t ideal, but I suck at picking good colors.

I prefer the highlight over the shadow for the latest poster (though not as strongly as I prefer the square avatars over the round).

(James Cook) #19

Who the hell signed off on this shadow?

It is God awful.

1. It just looks crap
  2. It is not obvious what the meaning of the shadow is. I was wondering at first why some had shadows and some didn’t. I’m sure most of my forum users will be too.
  3. Surely the list of contributors should be in some sort of logical order. Seems they aren’t. The shadows are all over the place.
  4. I will be manually removing it from my site.

(Dave McClure) #20

Whether it’s a glow as it was before, or a shadow as it is for the moment, the ordering and the logic of which one gets styled differently hasn’t changed:

Order:

• 1st: Orignal poster
  • Last: Last poster (if different than Original poster)
  • Others: Most frequent posters

Styling:

• Last poster if there is more than one post
  • This will either be the first avatar (if the OP was the last poster) or the last one in the list